Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read on a Popular Mechanics Magazine blog where a guy claimed that Mobil 1 is no longer a pure synthetic oil--a "Group IV" synthetic oil, but is now a dino-type oil with alot of synthetic additives, called by the blogger, a "Group III" synthetic oil. He said it can still be advertised as synthetic, but I guess not in the same category of synthetic as, say, Amsoil. He didn't say who his source was on this. According to him, Castrol Syntec is in this same category of a "Group III" synthetic oil as well. I want to run the best, so I guess Amsoil is it now??? What have you guys heard/use. I have roller lifters, so Zinc not an issue for me. Thanks

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
BS.

Mobil 1 is a true synthetic.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
Err, about 85% synthetic. The rest being additives and a conventional motor oil "carrier" for the additives. Last I looked there was a tiny print note to that effect on the back label of Mobil 1 bottles to that effect. Though they don't tell you the percentages.
Most synthetic oils aren't quite what we think they are. This doesn't make them "bad". I do wish they were labeled more truthfully though. "Synthetic" seems to be a pretty broad term when referring to motor oils.
These folks have an axe to grind (product to sell) so you have to take their site with a grain of salt, but they do present some fairly interesting facts on the subject of synthetic oils. Link

1 - 3 of 3 Posts