Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was warming up my 65. It sat all winter in my garage. I was monitoring the oil/temp. I checked the oil prior to startup and it was fine.
Oil pressurer was at 25
Temp around 200-210.

I noticed there was some yellowish "froth" just starting to drip out of the breather in the valve cover. So I stopped the car. I smelled the stuff and it smelled a little like gas to me. I took the valve cover off and there was a little bit of the yellow stuff in the heads, but only a very, very little bit. I drained a few cups of oil and took a good smell of that and the oil is definately getting contaminated with gas. There was no sign of the yellow froth in the drained oil. I took a spark plug out and it is quite sooty but not built up that bad, just black. The very tip of the dipstick has a milky appearance to it when I look at the oil level.
From what I read this is either the fuel pump diaphragm, or the mixture is too rich.

Some other traits of the car: Starts hard and hates to start up again once warmed up. but it runs great once it starts.

What about the yellow froth?

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
The froth could just be from condensation from sitting.

Check choke and adjust float for starters, it's dumping too much gas and is basically flooded when trying to start warm.

Then change the oil, gas is horrible on bearings.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The diaphram has probably ruptured in the fuel pump making the oil smell of gas. The yellow froth sounds like a head gasket problem as well. Change the fuel pump and the oil and keep an eye on the froth.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Ruptured fuel pump and water in the oil. Probably two separate problems. Water could be getting in from heads, intake gaskets or front cover gaskets.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Or, it could be a poorly functioning PCV valve. Blowby gasses will have a gasoline smell, and will make that yellow froth. High mileage engine will exibit more severe symptoms like this.

By chance, does your '65 use a road draft tube and not a PCV system?

Don

·
Registered
583 Posts
my consernt is is the 25 psi of oil pressure that is it. when i have my engine at 500rpm it has about 60 psi? but never heard of gas going through into oil unless when it was sitting gas seaped into the cylinders with the intake valve open and creaped pass the rings? but it is probubly the oil pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, since I store a lot of cars through the winter and then fire up in the spring, I always get the tiny bit of yellow here and there, especially at the breathers, which is where the steam from condensation comes out when it gets hot.
Oil pressure is fine, how many miles on the engine, what kind of carb? Need to know this stuff before I can suggest anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts