Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2 rings on the piston with the oil ring in between and the oil rail support ring is supposed to go on the bottom of those 3 rings but there isn't any room for it. Does it take the place of the lower ring?
TIA

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is it possible you have the wrong size rings? Every ring setup I have ever seen or heard of has;

2 flat metal rings with the oil scraper in the middle on the bottom groove
oil ring in the middle groove
compression ring in the top groove

The top 2 rings are beveled so you have to pay attention to the orientation of your dots on the rings.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have these:
2 flat metal rings with the oil scraper in the middle on the bottom groove
oil ring in the middle groove
compression ring in the top groove
And then I have another ring called an oil support ring, specifically for the stroker I guess which is supposed to go on the bottom of the bottom groove.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Do you mean the expander which goes inside the oil ring? Kinda looks wavy? If so, it'll go underneath the waffley looking part of the oil ring package.

I usually put the scrapers in last, depending on the edge treatment....

Are you running a 1/8" or 3/16" oil ring?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I have the 2 rings on the piston with the oil ring in between and the oil rail support ring is supposed to go on the bottom of those 3 rings but there isn't any room for it. Does it take the place of the lower ring?
TIA
I'm prety sure it does (I didn't assembly my kit). Is the support ring thicker/heavier than the ring you would be replacing? if so, you're probably on track. I'd give the kit supplier a call to double check Maybe they sent you the wrong oiling ring kit.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The support ring goes in the oil groove first, dimple lined up with the wrist pin facing down to prevent rotation. Once thats installed in the groove the expander goes in followed by the upper and lower oil rings. Its a snug fit for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts