Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have an oil temperature gauge, where did you mount the sender unit?

I have a Canton pan and currently have the sender in the top plug location on the passenger side but its more of a novelty at this point since it doesnt go deep enough in to the pan to submerge in oil. I've thought about putting it in the drain plug location the next time I change the oil but not sure how I feel about that idea. Outside of adding another bung to the pan (not a fan), changing the oil filter to an externally mounted unit, or adding an oil cooler I'm out of ideas. I may be adding an oil cooler in the future but its not in the cards at the moment.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Aside from adding a dedicated bung, your next best option is the sender in the drain plug location.

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
For those of you that have an oil temperature gauge, where did you mount the sender unit?

I have a Canton pan and currently have the sender in the top plug location on the passenger side but its more of a novelty at this point since it doesnt go deep enough in to the pan to submerge in oil. I've thought about putting it in the drain plug location the next time I change the oil but not sure how I feel about that idea. Outside of adding another bung to the pan (not a fan), changing the oil filter to an externally mounted unit, or adding an oil cooler I'm out of ideas. I may be adding an oil cooler in the future but its not in the cards at the moment.
Well, without an external cooler an oil temperature gauge is sort of redundant to the coolant temperature gauge as oil temp will pretty much be reflected as coolant temperature plus "x"... say 20-30*F. However, you may want to explore this....

TF400CAR Dipstick Oil Temperature Sensor

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
I'm curious, does it read anything useful? Because work has shown that when an engine is running it looks like the inside of a hurricane around the crankshaft. Oil isn't gently flowing back to the pan, it's more like a constant liquid explosion in there. As such, then there is plenty of oil washing onto the sensor. So I wonder if it's enough to get a legit temp or does it just read what the pan itself tends to be. Any experimentation?

·
Registered
83 Posts
So if the bung on the side of the canton pan isn't for a temp sensor, what is it for?
I've often wondered that myself...

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
So if the bung on the side of the canton pan isn't for a temp sensor, what is it for?
My understanding is that is a return port for a turbo.

Rusty

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
It is for a temp sender, but it's only present on the road race pan. Sounds to me like the OP has the street/strip pan. He's using the bung on the top passenger side, which is for the dipstick.

My understanding is that is a return port for a turbo.

Rusty
Sure, you can use it for that too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct, I have the street/strip pan. Hindsight always being what it is, I kind of wish i'd gotten the road race pan but alas it's serving it's purpose. It'll probably get swapped when I blow the motor up or otherwise have some reason to drop the pan.

As for Gypsy's question, when it's topped up with oil (had a minor leak, resolved but it's a half quart down) it would read about 30degrees shy of the water temp. I think it's more measuring the blow by temps inside the pan than actual oil temperature. Its due for the spring thaw oil change so it'll get fully topped up in the next week or so. I'll see what it ends up doing in that time.

I wonder if could split off the pressure port like was mentioned earlier. Put a Y fitting or something in there. An oil cooler is on the books for later so i could just live with it for now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Im sorry am I missing something, Why arent you putting the oil temp sender in its proper spot on the block,on the drivers side close to where the oil filter is located?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
30 degrees lower than water temps is a nope. Not a useful reading.

67 Doc, you're thinking of the oil pressure sender. He's trying to sort out an additional oil temperature sensor here. Little different situation though it indeed might end up in that location though it's less than ideal for temperature reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts