Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm converting from auto to manual I have a tranny temp sensor I can move and re-use as an oil temp sensor. Any idea where there's an access location to an oil passage without headache? Early model SBF, '68 302. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you really think you need an oil temp gauge, you could probably install a tee fitting in the same place your oil pressure sender goes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you do install it, I'd be curious to know the difference you see between your coolant temp and your oil temp.

·
Premium Member
13,302 Posts
If you do install it, I'd be curious to know the difference you see between your coolant temp and your oil temp.
Not a Vintage Mustang but likely relevant information:

On my ‘02 Jaguar XKR I have both oil temperature and coolant temperature readings coming off the OBD-II data stream. After the engine is fully warmed up, the oil temperature is nearly always 14 to 16 degrees F higher than the coolant temperature. A typical reading is captured on the Autool X-60 that I installed in the corner of the dash. The car has a 4.0 liter V-8, supercharged. The other number displayed is the ignition advance.

Z

8AC476A5-3635-4A91-8CDC-DC7DB555427C.jpeg

·
Registered
36,709 Posts
The easiest thing to do would be to weld a bung in the oil pan.
^^^ This. The only way you'll get an accurate reading is to have the bulb of the sensor immersed in oil. A "dead ended tee" isn't going to give you a good read.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts