Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain what oil "weight" is? Like 10 w 40. Does that mean when it is cold it is 10 weight but when it heats up it is 40 weight? Or vice versa. Is it better to use a heavy or light weight oil. I currently use 10 W40 all year round. Should I use something else, like straight 30?

Thank you.

Stang6767
Bryan

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
The "weight" of an oil is a measure of it's viscosity. A multi vis oil, like a 10W-40W, will operate at the lower weight when cold and will gradually become more viscous as the engine warms up. A single weight oil is less effective since it will not provide as much lubrication when cold and will probably break down more readily when hot. I use 10W-40W in my 302 with 97K original miles because I wanted the greater viscosity after I installed the 3.55 gears. Prior to that I used 10W-30W. If you live in a very harsh climate (real cold or real hot) then you should adjust your oil accordingly. Something thinner in the winter and something thicker in the summer.

Hope this helps,
RagTop

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Oil Weight refers primarily to the viscosity. The higher weight numbers, the higher the viscosity and density of the oil. Straight weight oils (without the W) are intended for 9 month operation. The oils with a W such as 10W-30 are designed for year round operation. The lower the first number, the lower the temperature you can crank and pump at a specified rate. In the summer I always use 10W-40. In the winters I will sometimes use 10W-30.
(OK, I cheated. I looked this up in one of my engineering handbooks. And you thought I was smart!)

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

·
Registered
560 Posts
Also the W in a 10W-30 indicates it is good for winter driving. The lower the first number followed by the W indicates the oil is good for lower outside temps.

Dave
Reading PA
66 Signal Flare Red Vert
302 2V, 15X7 Cragar SS's with 205/60s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts