Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A true Candy Apple red it is...

Now the question of stripes or no stripes, white of course.

Would you want to buy a red fastback with the white stripes
(Le mans) or would you prefer to buy one without the stripes ?

There is a strong possibility I will be selling when the car is finished.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I put stripes on my car thinking it might be something a little different from what you see on the road every day. Now the new stangs are sporting the stripes which I was a little bummed about. Now it isn't so uncommon to see stripes on the road. I like the red with white though, looks sharp :highfive:

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I like stripes obiviosly, but why do you have to go with white perhaps something differnt. Depends on the overall look your going with on the car. If all you trying to do is turn the car and look for the most potential buyers maybe you should go with white but as many of us have just seen at B-J differnt can add up to bigger bucks.

JMHO

PS Of course, I may be way off becasue I'm never thinking of doing things in order to sell my cars ::

Mark

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If you are putting the stripes on the car to make it look like a GT or a Shelby then you are being a hypocrite. Remember, you are not happy with how prices have gone because in your own words, " Someones ass hurts right now"

As you know, this comes from Shelby mania and you making your car look like everyone elses just adds to the fact. You wanting to put stripes on your car so someone will have that idea in their head and therefore pay more for the car.

It also depends on who you are selling it to.

1) the average buyer/kid/middle aged, never had anything but a Dodge Aspen type of person, then put the stripes on and sell it for a higher price.

But you give up your right to complain about how high prices are going for parts since you are in your own right a contributer to that phenomena.

Or sell it as a correct car. Depending on the buyer, you might be able to use that as a selling point and get a higher price anyway. I bought mine like that and I am proud that it has not been Shelby'd or boy racer'd out.

Just my .02 cents

·
7,015 Posts
I like stripes with the shelby scoop. No stripes without a scoop. Silver would look awesome.

Phil

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Pete, as someone who seems to complain about everything under the sun how do you get off telling someone they give up their right to complain about ANYTHING?

Steve: Stripe it, just don't forget the rocker stripes too.

I know I'd love to tool around in a 68 Fastback with stripes on it ::

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If this is going on the '68 fastback in your bio and you are having it painted a true candy apple red (as opposed to the ford color called candy apple) applying lemans stripes is going to hide a lot of that expensive paint. On the other hand, if you are going for a truely custom appearence with no attempt at originality, properly applied stripes can accent the looks. Personally I think reflective black (like was used on the Boss302)looks really cool over a red body, but that would require having custom vinyl stripes made to fit your car and I don't think I would do them in a lemans style. You could also have pin stripes put on the side following the body lines in the color of the candy base, that always adds a nice finished appearence to the paint job and won't cover up as much of the candy paint job as lemans stripes would.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1968 C code, I also have lower side scoops and Shelby 67 hood(stock fit) not sure if I should put these on if I am going to sell. maybe original is way to go..

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
What about Ghost stripes? I'm thinking about that route with my Coupe. I've seen ghost flames before, very subtle.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I vote STRIPES!, but like HoosierBuddy, I'd prefer to see Silver as opposed to White. Chose the right Silver, and it'll look white in bright light and more muted when not, which goes well with a true Candy Apple.

Just my $.02

BTW, my stripes are SILVER :winkgrin:

·
Registered
532 Posts
STRIPES!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If you are really thinking of selling, no stripes. The new owner can more easily add stripes if they want them than they can remove them. You might eliminate some potential buyers if the stripes are already on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts