Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and were they all GT cars? Not including the 'X' code 390's.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
9,228 68 390's. Not all were GT's

390s with 14 bolt heads were called GT390s but that was not the same as the actual GT Designation.

Of that number 3,986 were automatics (1 of which was a C4, that must be an error but who knows.)

This is from v.1 of Mustangs by the Numbers. I know v.2 had some revisions but these are close enough.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
according to Marti Report:

There were 4,113 S-code 68 Fastbacks made with a 390 V8 and 4spd. How many were GT's ?? doesn't break it down... I think an Elite Marti Report would break it down even further for you.
You gotta post pics when you get it home.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Will do on the photos. It's nice to have something new to research.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Of the 4113 405 were converted to Shelby's w/428's so there were only 3708 390/4speed (S code) fastbacks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 1968 Ford Catalog Revision dated 12/12/67 which states, "Item Revised: 390-cu. in. 4V V-8 Engine option now available only with GT Equipment Group."

So for the first couple months of production you could order the S-Code engine w/o the GT Equipment option.

Danny

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
According to the Marti Report for my NON GT 1968 390, 4speed, the factory order was received 1/24/68 and was built 2/01/68. When I bought the car in 1980 it came with a 428, I have no idea when or where the 428 was installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So my grandparents had a 68 Royal Maroon Fastback with the original GT390 engine? How many 68 Fastbacks were made that where GT390?

Hey Everybody,

So my grandparents once had a 68 Royal Maroon Fastback that was a true GT390? It was restored all original down to every last nut and bolt. It was a 98-100 point car at the shows. They sold it a while back. Now I'm trying to do some research on the car? How many 68 Fastbacks were made that were true GT390s? I know that there were only 4113 68 Fastback S-codes (390 CID V8 Big Block 4V Engine), but that's GTs and non-GTs.

Also, I still have a copy of the build sheet and the window sticker form it. Is there a was that I can put all of the info from the build sheet and the window sticker to find out the number of cars that were made that were the EXACT same as it?

Thanks,
Storm

Hey Everybody,

So my grandparents once had a 68 Royal Maroon Fastback that was a true GT390? It was restored all original down to every last nut and bolt. It was a 98-100 point car at the shows. They sold it a while back. Now I'm trying to do some research on the car? How many 68 Fastbacks were made that were true GT390s? I know that there were only 4113 68 Fastback S-codes (390 CID V8 Big Block 4V Engine), but that's GTs and non-GTs.

Also, I still have a copy of the build sheet and the window sticker form it. Is there a was that I can put all of the info from the build sheet and the window sticker to find out the number of cars that were made that were the EXACT same as it?

Thanks,
Storm

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
You posted a link to Marti's site?

·
Registered
899 Posts
When I click this link, it just goes to the Deluxe Marti report page. I assume the link is wrong or am I missing something?

68Hildago...

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Contact Kevin Marti at Martiauto.com

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
In 68 S code = 390GT engine. The GT handling/trim option is a completely different animal.

All 68 S codes are 390GT engines, but not all 390GT engine equipped cars are "GTs".

And, as previous noted, you have to remove all the Shelby cars, which has the "S" in the VIN, from the total to get the actual number of 390GT engine equipped S codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my grandparents had a 68 Royal Maroon Fastback with the original GT390 engine? How many 68 Fastbacks were made that where GT390?

Hey Everybody,

Thanks,
Storm

Hey Everybody,

Thanks,
Storm
Hello Storm

I own a 1968 fastback S code I purchased recently that fits the description you mentioned
The car was originally a Royal maroon comes with a Number matching 390 / 4 speed manual
If you have the vin number I can confirm if this car was previously owned by your grandparents or not

Best Regards

Sultan

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,537 Posts
Hello Storm

I own a 1968 fastback S code I purchased recently that fits the description you mentioned
The car was originally a Royal maroon comes with a Number matching 390 / 4 speed manual
If you have the vin number I can confirm if this car was previously owned by your grandparents or not

Best Regards

Sultan
That person hasn't posted anything since 2016....

·
Registered
125 Posts
9,228 68 390's. Not all were GT's

390s with 14 bolt heads were called GT390s but that was not the same as the actual GT Designation.

Of that number 3,986 were automatics (1 of which was a C4, that must be an error but who knows.)

This is from v.1 of Mustangs by the Numbers. I know v.2 had some revisions but these are close enough.
This is really bad information. Even the X code 390 engines have 14 bolt heads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts