Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out a unique color scheme for my 65 restomod fastback. Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to chrome an entire car? I know it sounds stupid, might cost a fortune, and weigh a ton, but could you actually get all the body panels chromed?

ooohhh....shiny object

·
Registered
471 Posts
Best thing is to have the hole thing dipped remove everything you don't want cromed and you better have a pile of money LOL ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
You can, but I know here in Washington you would get in trouble as you can't have that shiny of a car on the road. Your not allowed to reflect light like that. Some guy glued CDs all over his car with the bottoms out and his car got yanked by the cops cause it could blind other drivers.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Why stop at 9.6? Use one of those chrome rattle-cans and spray bomb the car. You'll save a pile of money, and only climb 4/10's. ::

·
Registered
795 Posts
Its not stupid!!

I have wanted to do that for may years - except its VERY expensive and illegal in NC.

If you got money and its legal - GO FOR IT!! ::

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are seriously considering this and not just jerking people's chains,do it to something that's already ugly like a Gremlin or something and refrain from destroying a perfectly good vintage car.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've been trying to figure out a unique color scheme for my 65 restomod fastback. Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to chrome an entire car? I know it sounds stupid, might cost a fortune, and weigh a ton, but could you actually get all the body panels chromed?
Yes, as others have said. But it would be astoundingly expensive, and without perfect bodywork, would look nothing like what you want it to.

There was a NASCAR or Trans-Am car around 1980 that had most of the body chromed. Can't recall the team or driver. But the rest of the racing world thought it was hilarious, because they of course knew the old racer's dictum (which occurs to me when I see most rice rockets):

"If it won't go, chrome it!"

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The Frech hace some brand of car they produce over there for their home market. It is avilable in a painted finish that for all practical purpose, looks like and acts like chrome. Although not cheap, it is far, far less $ than a chrome job. Still, why? On a sunny day, it would seem there may be some liability issue of someone were to lose sight of the road and have an accident due to the glare. :: ::

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hmmm.....maybe quietly rusting away to nothing in some farmer's barn is not the worst fate that can befall a classic car. ::

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. Thanks everybody, I appreciate the feedback. Just to clarify, I'm definitely not trying to yank anyone's chain, but to be fair, I wouldn't say that I'm seriously considering it either. Mostly trying to get some feedback on a pretty off the wall thought. I even appreciate those who agree that it would be stupid ::

Nick, I assume that's nore of your photochop magic?

Anyone know anymore about that french paint? Thanks.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts