Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK thinking it through My car has three coats of paint and one coat of primer somewhere in between on top the the factory paint. so it gonna take a cement truck full of Jasco to just tak it off the back end. so I think I have decided to blast the paint off. I have a blaster (sipohon feed) and an air compressor so all I need is some media, tarps, duct tape (cheap man cabinet :: ), and a little guidence on what psi what media etc. I really prefer not to use sand because it like to stretch metal and score it so I was looking at all these different blast media Eastwood has. I know not to run glass bead through a blaster with out a "real" cabinet. I have heard about coal somthing or other? but anyways I should be able to do the car on one 50lb bag (my dad did a boat trailer in one gallon of this stuff). In essence what should I use and what psi should I use it at.

Thanks so much yall, :: :)

Preston
Future NASCAR Chevy Killer & The Lord of the Dance

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I see two problems with this. One is that using a syphon feed blaster will make this job almost impossible. Two is that using a sandblaster on any vehicle without a good amount of experience will lead to warped sheetmetal unless the media is VERY gentle.
Ever see a side of a car that looks like a washboard? Nine times out of ten its because it's been blasted.
My recommendation would be to either use stripper (Not much less work than trying to blast it with a syphon feed blaster) or take it to a shop that can properly media blast it with something less damaging, like walnut shells.

$.02

·
Registered
285 Posts
My car had 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of primer on it, I started out with the smaller parts(head light buckets\doors etc.) and tried sandblasting with 50 grit, 75 grit and glass bead. I think you will be suprised about the time and energy it takes, and that certian paints are not affected. The top coat on my car was some type of enamel and the blasting had zero effect. I ended up using Blue Lightning stripper on the entire car(including the underside) and was very pleased with the results. Spray it on, wait 10 minutes, spray on again, wait till the paint bubbles and hit it with a hose and off comes the paint. I used about 3 gallons to strip the body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts