Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it is time to vent a little bit.

I purchased the Flaming River Rack and Pinion kit for a 289 equipped 68 fastback without any aftermarket equipment anywhere near the install area (stock braces, mounts, exhaust, tranny, oil pan...) back in March of this year (before all of the other failures were reported on the forum). The kit arrived at the end of April and I started the install on the 26th of June.

I had hoped that the install would be simple given the relatively small engine, and the lack of "new variables" added to the car. Boy I was wrong. After the third cradle and second rack had arrived I had the basic components installed in the car (without any interference with my engine and starter), but the clutch linkage (z-bar) was directly in the way between the steering column and the input shaft of the rack. Even using a third U-joint would not clear the z-bar.

Several week's later, Flaming river has continued to adjust the geometries of the cradle until today on cradle number 5 and rack number 2 of 3, I can link the steering shaft to the rack with only two joints and the joints do not bind (YEAH).

My problem is now that cradle number 5 (and cradle number 4 by the way) is a bit short between the frame rails. there is just over a quarter inch gap between the drivers side of the cradle and the frame rail when I tighten the passengers side of the cradle. In my opinion this is not acceptable.

Does anyone think that I am being over critical about a quarter inch gap?

I really do hope that my steering is "almost like power steering" since the marketing satements of "installs in hours" and "direct bolt-in" have been less than realistic in my opinion.

To be fair, the two months I have spent thus far on the install can be measured in hours... 1,440 of them. and the equipment has been bolt-on.... followed with.. remove, wait for another cradle, bolt that on, remove, wait for .....

-Dan

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read the "ranting: by the book" post from Bob and am feeling a little guilty about my previous post. I should be fair and compliment Flaming River of the fact that they are extremely willing to work with me to solve all of these problems. Not many companies would spend the effort of fabbing multiple cradles and shipping them overnight across the country to satisfy one $1,200 sale. Nor would many companies ship me over $200 worth of extra shafts, U-joints, ball joints, and brackets in hopes that my problems would be resolved.

-Dan

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Id say if it is advertised as a direct bolt in , they are doing some serious false advertising .
It is in thier best interest to ship you the parts at no cost . They are using guys like you for the R&D rather than getting ahold of some 65-73 mustangs and making kits that fit . Im sure there are a plently full amount of people who would donate thier car as long as needed to get a free rack and pinion install .
IMO this is not a rant , it is but is not as we have seen several times what the deal is with this rack from FR .
Imagine what 1440 hours of labor would cost FR for trial and error testing if they had to pay for it ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just can't believe that FR advertises their kit as a "bolt-on" with no tweaking. A bunch of custom-fabbed pieces from them show that they need to do a bit more testing on their product before selling it to the public.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
Not many companies would spend the effort of fabbing multiple cradles
No, you are right...

Most companies would have gotten it right BEFORE they ever offered them for sale....

It's called R&D as in Research and Development. That phase is supposed to be completed by company engineers/designers BEFORE you sell an item, not by your customers AFTER the sale.....

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have some lettuce if you are interested.. I'm told that guinea pigs like lettuce a lot :p Send it back and get your money back. For this kind of hours and labor, YOU should be getting paid a different kind of lettuce. ::

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Not many companies would spend the effort of fabbing multiple cradles
No, you are right...

Most companies would have gotten it right BEFORE they ever offered them for sale....

It's called R&D as in Research and Development. That phase is supposed to be completed by company engineers/designers BEFORE you sell an item, not by your customers AFTER the sale.....
as usual, HK nails it right on the head ::

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
No, you are right...

as usual, HK nails it right on the head :: [/quote]

You post was hardly a so-called "rant" an overused word. Your dialog was polite, with a desire to be fair. Your post was a commentary of your experiences. Posts like this are a service to perspective customers.
Caveat Emptor-letting the buyer beware-BEFORE parting with any money :)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
While I am very sorry to hear of your continues problems with this kit, I am not at all surprised. I attempted to install their kit in my 66 to no avail. You are far more patient than I was, I returned it to them after the second bracket and rack did not fit. They offered me a chance to try a third time, but I quickly declined.

Check the web-site for www.karmustang.com they installed a kit in a Mustang with a manual trans. Call and talk to Kevin, he figured out how to get it to work. IMO the frame bracket should fit snugly between the frame rails, after all the first couple you tried did, right? If the bracket moves at all your alignment will also vary. Not a good thing to happen, especially while driving.

How much do you really want to have rack and pinion steering? I decided that I didn't want enough to continue to put up with the lack of R&D on the kit. I feared the bump steer issue, and became very uncomfortable with the whole POS. I bought their manual gear and installed it without a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts