Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As expected, it wasn't very pretty. I posted earlier about my race tonight against a 87 firebird. I was actually pretty confident of my car. Well, right now im looking through my summit catalog in desperation /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I guess Ive been bit with the "gotta go faster at all costs" bug.
I powerbrake my car tell it stalled then let go. Basically he spun a little, a spun a BUNCH. You know, That tire spin is all great on the street showing off, but now its a PROBLEM :> He had First gear by 1/2 car, second by 2 cars, and finshed by about 3 legnths. Definately not a good feeling seing the firebird's tailights in clear sight ahead of you. But I was proud of what what car did for what it is right now.

My gears SUCK. I JUST got into third(c4) about 20 feet before the 1/8th mile finish line. He told me he never got to fifth gear, but would have had to shift into it if the line was about 10 feet further. Basically my car kept up with him until I Reached 3k rpm then just ran out of breath. I shifted At 5k(I could go to 5500 but it really flattens out). I found out his 350 had a 650 holley, and everything else stock. I thought GM put FI in these cars but I guess they started AFTER 87? I know ford started in 86. They were 2 years behind us?!?!?!? He thinks his gears are 3:25.1 but isnt sure. What I need? Aussie heads, roller rockers,Performer intake, 600 holley,9 inch 4.11 gears, tremec tko, Bracket master cam, and maybe an MSD module/wires/coil, then ditch my dual points on my mallory for a pertronix. That will be about 5 or 6k right?? That will get me around 12's mwith traction right? And low 8's in the 1/8th.... Gotta start saving. I got my first taste of racing and I LOVE it. Very cool stuff. I wonder what my curb weight is??? Hmmm, fiberglass, gutted interior, aluminum heads,intake,valvecovers, radiator. battery in Back. Traction Bars. Uh oh!! somebody stop me before i get out of hand:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
It might be cheaper to buy a driver 65, 66, ...70. Build up a 289, 302, 331, 347 or ???? with a strong bottom end, big cam, ported or aluminum heads, aluminum intake etc., full length headers with X-crossover and side pipes, 3,000 RPM torque converter, built C-4, 4.11 locker gears, traction bars, fat tires, and only liability insurance.

I actually saw an old lexus coupe SC400 this afternoon with the license plate "GOODBYE". When I blew them off I noticed it also said "GOODBYE" on the front. Winning is no big thing, losing is a bitch!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If Im reading right you have a 2 barrell intake and carb right now?

I bet an intake, a holley, and the discipline not to spin tires will make a good difference.....you need the breathing capability if it stays in 2nd at the end of run.

Dont malign that dual point....it's what they raced with in the real old days...it'll work for now

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Just go buy Camachinist's car and be done with it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Mallory has a drop in kit to convert from points to electronic. It's about a $100 from Summit.

I'd agree with the others about the 4V carb and intake. That would be a cheap quick way to go for now.

Think about a 3:25-3:50 rear and a shift kit for the C4.

Headers are also low cost hp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I ran 12's with a 72 Mach 1, here's what I used;

750 Holley Double pumper
Holley Strip Dominator intake (351C/4V)
290 adv. duration/530" lift solid cam
Accel Dual point distributor
3000 stall TCI converter (C-6)
4:10/Detroit Locker
Slapper bars
26 x 9.5 slicks

Keep the C-4 for racing!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.Yeah, I would buy camachinist car. I truely would. But I would run it straight into a wall with 11 second capability.
And I need a 4 or 5 day a week driver. Track isnt open very often. I don't care for 65's either /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (Helmet on and ducking)
2. About building a 65-70... No Way!! 72's my favorite car! There not as heavy as people think, and they handle suprisingly well. If I Wanna Go BBlock later on, no problem.
3. Yeah. I must be the only person at the track running a 2 barrell carb and intake:) in America... I will order intake, cam, ignition module-probably a malory high fire- they are cheaper, Monday. Im going to pick up a 600 holley with manual choke and vac secondary's today. Im gonna get some 4.11's from DENVER once I get a 5 speed, but thats long time. I don't wanna buy 3.50's or a converter now because I wanna ditch the auto down the line...
4. Another thing I wanna do Is the Aussies, but Im gonna wait and see what kind of luck Nosaj has with them. Im doubtful my 91 octane gas in cali will run alright with that kind of compression.
5. ART, do you still have the 4.10 locker? Wanna sell it? how about the slapper bars? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a 71/73 for years, there's no need for you to change. You wanna beat him next week? Get a NOS 2 barrel kit set at 125 HP. I played with a 71 Mintego with a 2 barrel Cleveland, 3:00 gear & stock C-4. Got it in the 13's in the 1/4 with nothing but experience! If you were close this'll do it with no engine mods. I ran over 400# of nitrous through it & it's run for the last 10 years in a Pacer since a re-seal. Remember nitrous takes the worry out of being close!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot 2 things. If you want to go FAST my drag car with a .564 lift street roller went an 9 flat Sat in street trim.(You don't need it) 2 My 71 Grande, stock 360 HP 460TJ, 3:50 cog, headers & a Holley... nothing else. Drove it to the races(14MPG) went a 13.06, drove it home. Couldn't wake the neighbors at 4 AM if I had to.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would run the edelbrock 125 setup. BUT, my rebuild included cast pistons. I know *they* say you can run a small shot with cast. But I want some Forged and better oiling/etc before I start messing around with a power adder. I can't afford to screw this motor up. Next rebuild I will go all out though.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
5. ART, do you still have the 4.10 locker? Wanna sell it? how about the slapper bars?

Sorry, the gears are in this....http://www.gt350h.com/video/rayrace6_s.jpg Slapper bars are gone...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What I need? Aussie heads, roller rockers,Performer intake, 600 holley,9 inch 4.11 gears, tremec tko, Bracket master cam, and maybe an MSD module/wires/coil, then ditch my dual points on my mallory for a pertronix.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Aussie heads are the way to go IF and only IF you will stick with then Cleveland setup......

Do go with some Forged pistons....

Get your heads portwork reworked for better flow at mid to higher rpms....(the smaller ports will already give yoou a low end grunt)

Get roller rockers, electric fuel pump and an MSD ignition setup.

gearing...I would go with 3.50 gears....this way you have bite for straight lining it.....and some gear for the freeway....(this is what came on my ride and it had some good go off idle and on the freeway.

Do use a K and N air filter.....and slap a 750 cfm holley on it
along with the 2v alum intake. (port match the heads to the intake too)

I bet on the second run you'll spank him!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts