Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing the shift kit today. Poured some xmsn fluid in. Started it up, put it in gear, and nothing. Reverse would kind of kick in at higher rpms, but no other gear was working. I drained the fluid and have the valve body off again, but I'm not seeing what I've done wrong. I can see where the shift lever is operating everything correctly(I think), and it feels like the kickdown lever is in the right place(I feel a spring action as the kit says). So now, I don't know what to do. Except take a break and cool down a little.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't have a clue, but wanted to post my sympathy for your situation. Can't tell you how many times I've been in that "what now?" place!

Your idea of "cooling off" is a smart one. I remember John Muir in his VW repair bible "How to Fix a VW for the Complete Idiot" advised: "When something breaks, drops into the block, or doesn't work after you're finished, just stop, sip a hot cup, smoke a bowl and don't touch the project for at least 30 minutes".

Excellent advice that's worked many times for me.

Good luck and I'm sure someone will come along and help you soon.

doc

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't want to insult you, but are you sure you put enough fluid in? You need to check it again after the engine is running. Other than that, I don't know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went directly by the kit instructions. Pour 3 qts. in, start it up in neutral, add up to the add line, go through the gears. That's as far as I got because it wasn't going into gear so I stopped there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts