Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read over at 69stang.com that granada spindles are a direct bolt in is this true? another question is there a car or truck that has 11inch rotors that will work on the granada spindels? if so what ones? my g/fs car is a non power brake car i want to keep it that way will a power brake master cylinder work with out any problems or should i stay with a non power unit? and is there a modern alum/plastic master cyl that will directly bolt on her 69 ? and finally :: her car has i believe an 8inch rear what car or truck would have 11inch drums that will fit that axle ?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you want a really good disc brake setup, check out Mustang Steve....... http://www.mustangsteve.com/ .... ( look under products)It's a very reasonable price for this kit. I plan on going this route when I get the chance. There are some guys here that have done the grenada conversion, they may be able to help you if you want to do it cheaply. I don't know what your skill level is, but you do need some know how to do the conversion. It looks like a PITA to me, but disc brakes are worth it. Mustang steve also has a tech article with pictures, on how to do the grenada conversion. Just look in the tech section of his site. Good luck. Jason

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply jason ill check that out i have no problems or worrys doin frontend work ive rebuilt a few cars in my time ;)any help is gretly appreciated

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'll go against the grain, and state that the Grenada swap has never been an appealing one to me. Too many reports of bump steer problems, wheel fitment problems, etc.

I upgraded my '69 to power disks using all OEM parts. I found '70 spindles (they have bigger bearings) with the brackets and backing plates at a swap meet for $100. I cleaned them up, put on a new booster, MC, pads, rotors, and calipers, bought from a regular parts house, and had my power disk upgrade for under $400. I can now get replacement parts anywhere I want, have no bump steer problems, can fit any wheels I want, and have no problems, AT ALL, stopping the 408 that's powering the car.

I have no idea why this isn't a very popular route to go. :no:

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
I agree with John. Look around, I picked up a set of 71 disc brakes complete for $25 at a swap meet. You can also look into scarebird on ebay. He sells brackets that use GM S10 calipers and 67-73 Mustang rotors designed for single piston caliper. All Granada 5 lug discs are 11" period! I think why everyone automatically says Granada for a disc swap is this.There really weren't any aftermarket disc kits if any years ago when Granadas were easy pickings. Every Granda, Monarch or Versaille ever made came with front disc. When they were at the end of their life cycle, there was a flood of them in the wrecking yards for easy pickings and they would fit Mustangs relatively easily and cheaply. Now is a different story, they've dried up in the wrecking yards but people still perpetuate the use of Granada. IMO, there are a lot more other choices now. Do a search on the internet, you'll find a whole lot more option then there ever was.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I took the same route as Johnpro. I bought a complete, used, power disc OEM setup from another VMF member. The booster is from a ’70 and the spindles have a part number for ’68. I cleaned and painted the spindles brackets, etc, and bought remanufactured calipers from a parts store using the old ones for cores. This is definitely a ‘bolt in’ system.
Keep an eye on the sale ads here. You just need to have the money available because the parts may not last.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I have no idea why this isn't a very popular route to go.
I think that would be the preferred way to go if the parts were available, but not living in a metro area with alot of club activity, the choices aren't that plentiful. In preparing for the conversion I'm doing on a '65, I have been in every salvage yard in my area. I found a '73 Cougar with PDB, but they wanted $300 for the spindles. I also found two '66 V8 coupes with drums (same spindles) and they guy wouldn't sell the spindles alone, wanted $250 for the spindles and drums, and there would still be another $200 for caliper brackets and dust shields. I found no other Mustangs or Cougars with compatible spindles in any of the yards I visited. I do know of a boneyard with several '69-'73's, but it's 2 hours away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i am in the process of upgrading my 68 with disc's and originally wanted to use mustang steve's kit but i have been told that it will not work with my TT II's 17x8 with 4.75 back spacing (caliper fitting inside the rim). can someone confirm this? also, i f i went this route i was looking at getting the currie rear conversion as well. that way i would have four wheel disc that all look a like.

i have also stumbled across this place http://www.discbrakeswap.com/html/body_catalog.html which sells the entire granda set-up but reading the post by johnpro it looks like there are issues with bump steer. is this a big issue?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'll go against the grain, and state that the Grenada swap has never been an appealing one to me. Too many reports of bump steer problems, wheel fitment problems, etc.

I upgraded my '69 to power disks using all OEM parts. I found '70 spindles (they have bigger bearings) with the brackets and backing plates at a swap meet for $100. I cleaned them up, put on a new booster, MC, pads, rotors, and calipers, bought from a regular parts house, and had my power disk upgrade for under $400. I can now get replacement parts anywhere I want, have no bump steer problems, can fit any wheels I want, and have no problems, AT ALL, stopping the 408 that's powering the car.

I have no idea why this isn't a very popular route to go. :no:
Please get the facts correct! It is common knowledge that All 67+ spindles used on Falcon chassis based Fords (Mustang and Granada included) have the exact same steering geometry There is no difference in the bumpsteer characteristics of these spindles. Granada spindles are cheaper in the junkyard, are usually in better condition, there are inexpensive repro parts available, and the associated parts like calipers and hoses are much less expensive.

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
Please get the facts correct! It is common knowledge that All 67+ spindles used on Falcon chassis based Fords (Mustang and Granada included) have the exact same steering geometry
Funny, when I compared a set of 71 spindle and a set of Granada spindles side by side with a straight edge clamped to the spindles, the Granada tie rod arm were about .375" off form the Mustang's, being closer to the center of the car as I recall. I know GT350clone has stated the same when he was having geometry issues with his Granada spindles. To be fair though, his suspension was modified with Global West UCA's and even on Global West's web site they tell you not to use Granada spindles for this reason. On a stock or slightly modified suspension it's probably not an issue as a lot of guy here on the forum are satisfactorly running Granada spindles.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Please get the facts correct! It is common knowledge that All 67+ spindles used on Falcon chassis based Fords (Mustang and Granada included) have the exact same steering geometry
This one should be fairly easy to settle as I'm sure someone on this board must have both types of spindles sitting on a shelf. The "common knowledge" I've always heard is that there are issues in using Granada spindles. I'd suggest that you, DAG (seeing as how you have a vested interest in this discussion... as a seller of Granada-related brake components), make a post with side by side pictures (including measurements) so that this matter becomes crystal clear. VMF is probably the most influential Mustang forum on the net and we'd all be well served by having the facts "correct" (assuming they aren't already).

- Gord

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
As long as you are taking "pot shots", talking about "facts", and using exclamation points, I would suggest you read some posts on this forum form people that have measured the spindles side-by-side, guess what? They are different! I just had to throw the exclamation point in to match your post. :)

John Harvey

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
For the budget minded there are kits that mount a bracket to your original drum spindles to mount the caliper. Rod and Custom (as already mentioned is one), Scarebird is the other. Scarebird makes different flavors of the kit, 6 cylinder 4 lug, V8 5 lug, and large rotor 5 lug.

There are also more premium kits that mount very nice calipers and a large rotor on the original V8 drum spindles with machined aluminum brackets. Mustang Steve and Randall's Rack come to mind, there are probably others.

You can also use spindles from other Ford cars, but depending on the modifications to your suspension you may or may not get good results (a search here would be instructive).

Also there are kits that are very similar to stock SSBC (65/66/67), and premium kits like Bear, and Wilwood.

You can also weld in a Mustang II type kit and get power steering, disc brakes, and rack and pinion steering all in one go.

It just depends what you want.

I would suggest a intensive learning period before you decide what you want to do.

John Harvey

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys thanks for your replies, i relly didnt mean to start a fight or something but if anyone else has something more to add i need all the help i can get is there a book out that covers this topic and other chassis modifications?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Crap! I had a longer post but lost it after spell check so I will type out the condensed version..Is there a direct swap for my 66 coup drums to disc's out there that is oem? I bet they would be hard to find. Are there other years of mustangs or ford cars for that matter that would bolt on for a direct swap? With out me giving up the farm

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Funny, when I compared a set of 71 spindle and a set of Granada spindles side by side with a straight edge clamped to the spindles, the Granada tie rod arm were about .375" off form the Mustang's, being closer to the center of the car as I recall. I know GT350clone has stated the same when he was having geometry issues with his Granada spindles. To be fair though, his suspension was modified with Global West UCA's and even on Global West's web site they tell you not to use Granada spindles for this reason. On a stock or slightly modified suspension it's probably not an issue as a lot of guy here on the forum are satisfactorly running Granada spindles.
He was comparing Granada to 65-66 spindles, not 71. Like I said, all 67+ Falcon chassis spindles have the same geometry.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This one should be fairly easy to settle as I'm sure someone on this board must have both types of spindles sitting on a shelf. The "common knowledge" I've always heard is that there are issues in using Granada spindles. I'd suggest that you, DAG (seeing as how you have a vested interest in this discussion... as a seller of Granada-related brake components), make a post with side by side pictures (including measurements) so that this matter becomes crystal clear. VMF is probably the most influential Mustang forum on the net and we'd all be well served by having the facts "correct" (assuming they aren't already).

- Gord
Again, get your facts straight! The alledged problems with Granada spindles is when they are installed on 65-66. My "vested interest" in this matter has led me to make VERY accuate measuremnts of the relevant spindles. I don't rely on casual visual inspections, or opinions.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sorry if I rained all over your parade. It wasn't meant as a personal insult to you or anyone else that wants to sell Granada brakes. The Granada problems are very well documented, though. Yes, there's usually ways around the problems. I was merely pointing out that you don't have any of those issue if you just locate some OEM parts.

I was also trying to point out that you can do an OEM upgrade for the same price as a Granada swap. I understand, though, that someone that sells Granada brakes wouldn't really like this word to get out too loudly. ;)

Oh, and speaking of facts:
there are inexpensive repro parts available, and the associated parts like calipers and hoses are much less expensive.
Doing a side by side comparison of Granada vs. Mustang parts, using rockauto.com, most prices are identical. I will admit, though, that a fully loaded Raybestos caliper is $2 cheaper for a Granada one, although the Cardone ones are the identical price. Across the board, the Mustang rotors were cheaper than the Granada ones.

·
Registered
21,066 Posts
He was comparing Granada to 65-66 spindles, not 71. Like I said, all 67+ Falcon chassis spindles have the same geometry.
I comepared the Granada spindles with 71 spindles and not 65-66's. The Granada's were fricken different! How many times to I have to say that? The Granada tie rod arms were at a different angle both visable and when I used a straight edge to measure with a ruler. Appeared to be about a 3/8" difference. I think if you send a PM to gt350clone, I believe he'll say the same as he has measured them as well.

So what is your interest in these Granada spindles on this site?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts