Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we finished getting Steph's (my daughter) car running again after the blown head gasket from a couple weeks ago. Car was running great, but I said I should drive it for a couple days to make sure everything's hunky dory.

Go to drive it to my brother's house today and get about 7 miles down the road. All off a sudden it has a small backfire through the carb and dies deader than a door nail. I manage to coast into a parking lot and start looking. Nothing leaking, getting gas, must be spark. Pull the coil wire and oil starts gushing from the coil.

Ok, fried coil. This Accel coil was on the car when we bought it, so no telling how old it is. I call USAA roadside assistance and have the car towed back home.

Pull the Pertronix Flamethrower off of Scary (the sportsroof) and stick on Steph's. Nothing, Nada. Figure, ok, I must have fried the Pertronix Ignitor.

Pull the Pertronix Ignitor out of Scary and stick in Steph's. Nothing. Nada.

Scratching my head, I wondered "I wonder if the tach is hosing things?" I disconnect the tach from the coil and VROOM. Wala. So what's wrong with the tach?

As I start looking at it, I had caught the wire in the valve cover (I wondered why that valve cover was so hard to tighten down *LOL*). Apparently after the car had run enough, got hot and vibrated enough, it tore the insulation just enough to ground the coil at about 2k RPM's wasting it.

On a good note, the tow truck driver, Bruce, was a very cool guy. He said he knew of a very clean '67 that the guy is asking only $1700 for (Bruce is a Ford lover and he'd towed this guy's Ford truck home for him). He's going to go get pics and info on the car and call me ::

Ok ... pass the doofus now. :eek: :( :eek:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
john,
i don't think this qualifies as a doofus. has my understanding of a doofus is when you do something that you know is wrong but you go ahead and bulldog it together anyway.
might i suggest a runners up doofus only because of the valve pan thing and the shorted out the tach :)
chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
On the same note about tow truck drivers. My first time on the hook (out of about 3 tow truck rides)the driver had a 69 Mach, 67 (i think) GT350 Vert. (i think it was a GT 350), and a another vintage coup. It was one of the more fun tow truck rides I had.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but I think John qualifies 100%. That's exactly what the Doofus Award is all about. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'll pick it up. Started disassembling the front end of my 66 yesterday. One of the speed nuts for the stone guard slipped on me. Without thinking about it I tried to hold it with my fingers while I backed to bolt out with an air ratchet. :eek: Well the speed nut split where it folds over and spun on me, when it did it pretty affectively sliced all of the skin off of the tip of my pointer finger. So I guess I have gotten past the doofus for my restoration and everything else will be smooth and simple, right? :D

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, maybe it's just a mini-doofus. The tow truck didn't cost anything (included in my insurance with USAA), the cost of the fried coil is minimal. I didn't loose a drop of blood, but I did spend the better part of the 100 degree afternoon sitting on the corner, waiting for the tow truck to arrive :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts