Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so a 4 speed is easy to swap. and im talking about a 3 speed manual not auto. so how much would it cost to get a used 5 speed and switch it to a 5 speed? can i buy a used 5 speed from say a less popular mustang like a late 70's early 80's, so its cheaper? please put this into dollars because i dont know exactly what all the terms are, i appreciate it. btw i will be doing this myself with help from a mechanic, so dont add in mechanic fees. would it be reasonable (as in price) for me to buy a 3 speed manual 1967 coupe for say $4000 and put in a 5 speed?
thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
such as this tranny from ebay:
5 speed
could i put that into a 67 coupe with no problem?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well you would need the bellhousing adaptor plate, clutch, clutch cables etc... not sure if you need pedals or not. Look it up at www.mustangsplus.com

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what clutch and adapter year would i be searching for? 67? just the adapter bracket is $70!! ok, does anybody have a website where they converted a 3 or 4 speed to a 5? so i can just look up how much it would be.
thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking at all the costs, im leaning towards just a 4 speed. it seems a lot cheaper. is there a huge difference between the 4 speed a 5 speed, with gas mileage, performance ect? if i was to swap a 3 speed out for a 4 speed, would it be better to get 5 speed, it seems out of my price range.
thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The 5 speed has an extra gear, so it will allow you to run a lower gear ratio, and still be able to drive the car on the freeway.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
You`d be happier with a 5 speed. Just make sure and do your homework, learn to read the tags. There are some T5`s that are desireable and some that are not.
If you get one with a T5 bell housing I don`t think you need the adaptor plate.
But then you might need to switch to cable or hydraulic clutch actuator.
None of this is rocket science if you do a little research ::

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you use a spacer plate then your stock 3speed clutch linkage will all work...I made my own spacer plate out of 3/4" thick 6061 $1.50/lb on the surplus market. I'm using a Tremec though which has the same bolt pattern as a toploader. The next thing to consider is driveshaft modifications for correct length. There was, and I assume still is, a wealth of information on the web regarding these swaps. I would say a low buck T5 install should run around $600 with a good T5 donor in the three or for hundred dollar range.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, that low of cost. wheres a good place to look for used 5 speeds?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well the two in the paper (Recycler) right now are a little steep at ~$400 asking. But, I only searched for "T5" expanding the search with additional keywords would produce better results...So, Recycler, Ebay, word of mouth, that's what I would try until I found a post '89 trans within 100 miles from El Cajon and under $300.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts