Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the yellow OK stamp found on either the drivers side or passenger side on the front of the valve cover? Or just on the drivers side? I have a 69 San Jose Mach 1 with a 351W.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I thought "Paint OK" or OK stampings were done on panels that needed a re-inspection for some reason. So it was random. So I thought. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Paint OK is different from the engine O-K stamp. You would not be questioned putting it on the driver's valve cover. I just sold my stamp I used on a '69 a few months ago. :confused:

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
The fellow to talk to about the "paint OK" stamp is Jeff Speegle who is the moderator on Concours Mustang. You would be better off waiting to see what he says, and, also try be be at an MCA show as he often brings along the correct stamps. Better to get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The fellow to talk to about the "paint OK" stamp is Jeff Speegle who is the moderator on Concours Mustang. You would be better off waiting to see what he says, and, also try be be at an MCA show as he often brings along the correct stamps. Better to get it done right the first time.
One of my main sources! Between him and Scott Hollenbeck at the 428CobraJet site. Between Jeff and Scott, I bet we had over 2,000 contacts regarding the SCJ we did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just passing through as I raarely check the site.

There are a multitude of different OK stamps used by inspectors at the different plants so placement, size and design will differ between years, inspectors and engine plants.

Since you asked about a 69 351W we can be specific. Looking at unrestored examples I haven't found any that were stamped with the OK on either of the valve covers like we see in other years (70 for example) or other engine plants (like the one that built the 390s and 428's) Do have one original example where the OK was applied to the drivers side head below the valve cover and above where the PS mount attaches. And as usual there is often a small round inspector/quality control stamp also. The OK stamp was the smaller version without the box

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts