Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i paint a car.. when it has to go to bare metal, needs a lot of bodywork.. needs to be painted under weatherstripping and all, and i have about 2 hours a week to work on it?

also, i cant pay someone to do it, and i dont have a garage.

is there any possible way?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Not unless you live in the desert. And even then, there's no guarantees.

Once you start, you need to finish as quickly as possible and keep it out of the weather. Bare metal will start rusting immediately, even without rain.

When we were doing my son's car, we had to take the back deck lid down to metal to fix the crappy job done by a PO. We used a good quality PPG primer and coated it thick. We didn't get back to it for 3 weeks ... had to sand it all back down to metal to get all the rust back off, and got so scared of it, that we ended up treating it and painting with the POR-15 to make sure it doesn't come back.

You're far better off not starting until you can dedicate the time to it, or until you can afford to pay someone. You are going to open one big can of worms if you don't.

G

·
0 Posts
bro,having only 2 hrs a week,its gonna take a years to get that car ready(j/k).especially taking it down to metal. your probally looking at 40-80 hrs depending on skill in blocking alone, and whatever rust work you intend to do. where is car parked now?cars gotta be inside when you start spraying your fill.if not maybe make a temp paint booth out of 2x2's and a plastic tarp. But when you get ready to apply your paint, maybe you could rent a booth for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Become an insomniac - Dont sleep /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
For the first few weeks when I started I was pulling 14-16 hours straight (minus quick food stops).

BTW, what are you gona do with all those turbos? What do you want for them? Oh and have you tried the megasquirt yet? Any good?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can try doing a panel at a time and painting with an EPOXY primer. These offer much better moisture protection than conventional primers. The primer should be an automotive quality, not spray can stuff.
Good Luck

·
Administrator
19,339 Posts
I keep mine indoors so I have more slack. Since I was flaring the rear quarters, I chose to start with the driver's quarter. Then the tail panel, then the right quarter, etc. I'm down to the driver's door. Even though I'm not out in the weather, I used cheapo primer rather than bare metal in between work sessions. A similar method may be the only way you can get it done. Protecting your working area from weather will be the tough part. The frontend and doors are easier to deal with since you can unbolt, fix, and bolt back on.
Tough, but can be done.
Oh yeah, I'm talking about getting READY for paint. The actual paint job is a one-day deal.
Notice the green decklid on my Gray car?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts