Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone believe I rebuilt my engine and it runs great, not knowing this stuff? LoL

I suspect rod knock is when the rod is getting loose on the crankshaft journal?

Visit my repair page for Repair info, with pictures! http://home.dencity.com/mustangcub

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmm i know piston knock is the piston knocking against the cylinder walls but no clue about rod knock.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a 351W years ago to swap the six in my first Mustang. I dropped the engine in and it had a bad knock. I pulled it back out and went through the motor. To my dismay, it was quite a mess. After replacing the mangled cam and lifters, along with almost everything else, I discovered that one of the rods was bent. I knew something was wrong after I torqued it and the engine was really hard to turn.

http://www.geocities.com/raley65/stang18s.jpg
The G-Man's '65 K-code Fastback

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually where the bearing goes bad and eventually the tolerance gets bad enough that it emmits noise as the crank takes up the slack as it forces the rod up and down.

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it. Usually the result of worn bearings. There is also "piston slap", "dropped a valve", and "spun a bearing". Probably other well worn phrases the old heads can bring up.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yes and the more sloppy the fit the louder it gets. when all the bearing material is gone then business really picks up and the end is near..... John

It would be a shame to have passed the test but to have missed the lesson.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts