Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this mustang hobby is making me so looney I have had a question about open rear on my mind for a week now and its driving me nuts. Ok , heres the question-- If an open rear oly delivers power from the right tire in the back, how come the car doesnt shoot to the left on acceleration, instead of going straight like it does. I mean, like say a shoe is closer to the drum than the other, and it will pull to the other side. How does an open rear stay straight????????? Somebody answer this and let me finally rest!! Im loosing my freakin mind! Thanks.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
actually under hard accelation the right rear is trying to walk around..but the torque from the motor counteracts this movement because it is trying to lift up the left side..if you did a huge burn-out..the car would begin to walk to the right..over time..the rear end will actually creep closer to the right side of the car..if you check the clearance on the tires..there will be a slight difference..the right tire should be closer to the fender..it's a bit early AM here and I might not be making myself clear..*LOL*

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I was under the same impression: in an open rear, power is delivered to both rear wheels. However, the problem is that when one loses traction, it's the one that gets all the power. So, you are always smokin' the tire w/ less traction.

This way, when you go into a turn, the tires are free to rotate at different speeds like they need to, but with having to use a clutch pack like in a limited slip.

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
Mr Siv is right. Both rear whells have equal torque being applied to them. And at all times! When one whell spins, left or right, total traction is reduced, along with the amount of torque transmitted by the drive shaft. Even with one whell spinning faster then the other, both wheels will have equal torque, not much, but equal. Think of it as a fast turn. In a turn, one wheel will be spinning faster then the other, does that mean only the one wheel spinning faster has all the power? No.

The power is transmitted through the carrier to the spider gears that in turn, apply power to the axle spider gears. Reguardless if one is spinning faster then the other, does it mean that only the one spinning faster has all the power? No.

On a limited slip alxe, there are clutch packs between the axle spiders and the case to supply an alternate route for torque to be applied to both axles, it tries to lock up or tie the two axles together and mimick a spool, however, at some point the clutches will slip allowing one axle to spin faster then the other.

The reason on an open differential, one whell will spin, usually the right, is because the right wheel become unloaded and therefor has less traction. What appens, remember, for each action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. Try to push on something without anything holding you back. Anyway, the driveshaft spins in the same way as the engine, clockwise. Since there is resistance of the tires to rotate from driving the car foward, the whole axle tries to rotate in the same direction of the driveshaft. At the same time, the torque of the engine is trting to twist the body of the car in the opposit direction of the crank/driveshaft. This is why the right rear of the car squats and the left rear rises. At the same time the left rear tire is being driven into the ground as the right rear is being lifted from the ground.

As other have said, if only one wheel had torque to it, wouldn't the car pull to one side? Yes! As power increases, this torque steer will increase. Ask any expeienced drag racer how important it is to have equal traction and why they use a spool.

One last thing. How many of you know what a torque tube is? Look under an old car up to the 50's. They use to use an external tube around the driveshaft, connected to the transmission and rear axle. This was to help apply equal torque to the rear axles.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clearing that up, I just learned a lot. And sharkmouth man, your a ball breaker. But I like that!

·
Registered
262 Posts
3;30 am and your worried about your rearend? man you need another shot of caffiene!!!think about this when your driving 70 mph how does those radio waves get in your radio? could you ever drive fast enough to outrun them? i think i'll go have another coke and think about it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts