Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VMF'rs..
Need some help here. I've painted a Mustang, rebuilt a Toploader and built a few 289's....
But for some reason...I can't figure out how to properly install the data plate rivets on a 68 Mustang.
I'm on my 4th pair and I still cant get them to hold the tag.
I've used a 3/16 drill and 1/4 drill and even a special tool that was sold with the rivets.
At best, I've had one 'loosely' attached and was afraid it might fall off.
I'm not poking through the rivet, I'm gently tapping to depress the dimple...and still weak results.
What gives?
I really want that tight fit that was on the tags from the factory...How did you get it???

·
Radar
6,816 Posts
After four tries I'd guess that the original rivet holes in the door are (for one reason or another over the years) larger than they once were/spec. Measure their diameter. If enlarged, you could drill new proper sized holes just off from them, or fill them and re-drill for original placement. For me it would be a matter of expense, which would be less cost and trouble overall. I can weld or bond just fine, but would I have to refinish/repaint the door afterwards too?

·
VMF Ambassador
6,919 Posts
The repro rivets for the door data tags are known to be too wide (as in, when compressed, they leave too much space between the front and back of the rivet), so the door tags don't get stuck on really firmly when you rivet them.

The easy solution to this is to smear black RTV on the back of the door tag, press it down, and then put the rivets in for extra security. Mine's been like that for 8ish years now and gets daily use and hasn't failed.

Reactions: JSHarvey

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...thanks to all for your insight. My door tag holes are original and not boogered oblong.
It was soothing to hear I'm not the only one.
Thank you to all who responded

·
Registered
36,519 Posts
The warranty tag rivets I have seen are made with worn tooling. There should be an X cut in the back side, but the cuts are too shallow. I deepen the cuts with a razor, so they go all the way to the flange. Then, of course, when pressing the dimple, press only until it is flat. The special tool, or a small machine screw with a nut to prevent going too far helps. If you press too far, the rivet actually starts to get smaller again.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have use a pair of snap ring pliers to "spread" the center area of the rivet out carefully all around the inside.
Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts