Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my 66 back from the paint shop and she looks great. So I start to reassemble the car and have run into nothing but problems again and again. Repro parts dont fit, screws and bolts missing, a headliner that was lit on fire by the guy who did the metal work on my car. Im just ready to scream. Then to top it all off when I went to pressure test my radiator and cooling system the intake has a leak in so antifreeze was pouring out everywhere on the block and the thermostat housing. Well my dad was in a really good mood and told me just to get a new edelbrock 2121 manifold and put it on. I pick that up from discount auto today, get it home and start to put on my new chrome thermostat housing and wtf is this, there is a broken off bolt in one of the friggin holes! I took it back and missed the deadline to get another one on the truck for me today so I have to wait another day. Then while taking out the distributor I pulled the priming rod out of the hole, so now thats cocked on an angle and not in place. Im ready to scream and just give up on this car. I feel like Im running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I just really needed to vent this off b/c Im incredibly pissed off at this point.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Are you sure the oil pump drive shaft is no longer in place? It's perfectly normal for them to be "leaning over" in the bore, as it the distributor that holds it up straight. Usually if they come out of the oil pump, they drop into your oil pan (then you get some REAL fun).

Glad you posted about the chrome t-stat housing before installing it. Are you aware that there's 2 types of chromed thermostat housings? Yup, the kind that leak, and the kind that WILL leak. Give it to your dog for a chew toy and go get a cast housing. Otherwise, you'll be replacing it again next year.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Restorations are NEVER easy, and require patience above all else.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sounds like kind of a normal day in my garage. ::

So, what's your point??? ::

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
We all know the feeling. I restified a '70 Cougar starting six years ago and mostly everything fell together and worked well. My kids' '65 fb has been just the opposite, every step a struggle.

From the Department of Unsolicited Advice:

The headliner: It has to be replaced. This requires removal of both windows. If the headliner was brand new the welder should pay the full costs. If it is OE, the welder should kick in a share in proportion to how worn the thing was.

The leak: you're lucky (and smart) to have caught it in the garage and not on the road. You're even luckier to have got an upgrade out of it. (I take it Dad is buying, right?) The missing the truck part was the Mustang Gods' way of telling you to give it up for the day.

The oil pump drive shaft: this happens. On my kids' car I innocently pulled out the distributor and the dang shaft came out with it, just far enough to clear the oil pump before it fell loose and plunk into the oil pan. You at least have a chance to manuever it back in place with some needle nose pliers, although you are still at risk for the plunk. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just been one of those days I guess. After I ranted here I felt a lot better and a lot more calm. I kind of am racing against time as I hoped to have her running before I go off to college on the 20th. 9 days and still a lot to do. The headliner when it was lit on fire was actually paid for by the company so that was all set. Both windows are already out of the car so I know that will be a help. I know restoring cars never go as planned but golly I wish I could get one day of things going as planned!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Glad you posted about the chrome t-stat housing before installing it. Are you aware that there's 2 types of chromed thermostat housings? Yup, the kind that leak, and the kind that WILL leak. Give it to your dog for a chew toy and go get a cast housing. Otherwise, you'll be replacing it again next year.
The quote of the day! A ban on them should be federally mandated! :: :: ::

·
Registered
742 Posts
Step away from the vehicle...Seriously take a break clean up the garage and make a list of the things left to do to the car. I find if I can get better organized I can do a better job and even make up some of the lost time. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts