Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a big problem with Mustangs is the + caster issue. So we lower the UCA 1" or 1 3/4" with the wedged or aftermarket UCA to get more - camber. I also believe that the Global West upper is also shorter then the stocker.

My question is, has anyone ever used a short 67-68 UCA with a wedge kit? Or would this be too extreme? I know on the FOX platform a trick was to use the longer Tbird lower arm for more - camber.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much camber your trying to get. I was able achieve -2 camber with boxed and tweaked stock type control arms. I ended up going to a Vario Eccentric kit to move my lower control arms out a bit, to gain a bit more camber. For a dedicated track car running radial DOT race rubber, you may need up to -3 camber to stop the outside edge front tire wear. My tire wear on the street tires with that much camber is less then desirable.

·
Registered
21,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think what I said would give a lot of negative camber, most likely too much for street use. But I was wondering if anyone ever tried.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I have never herd of anyone using the 67-68 arms on a 65-66.
I don't have any to look at, but if they will bolt up to the car,
and aren't to much shorter, it may work. When I do the re-alignment
to upper arms, it does make them a little shorter, but not much.

Like Bill said, the thing is to get more neg. camber into the front
end to save the tires and give more grip. With a "vario" camber
kit, it's easy to put in more camber. With a re-aligned stock arm,
you can lower the mounting to 1 3/4" and that will help too.

If someone can put up a photo of the two arms together, and
do some measuring, we might find the answer.

·
Registered
21,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What made me think of it was exactly that! One of the parts catalog had the 2 side by side...just don't remeber where I saw it :p

BTW, I knew I could count on you 2 to answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The mounting holes are not the same pattern. I can't remember how much, but it was significant.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
re:I ended up going to a Vario Eccentric kit to move my lower control arms out a bit, to gain a bit more camber.
-----------------
IIRC this is one of the best ways to move the LCA around to adjust the camber....I am aiming for -2 camber as the car won't be a dedicated track car....but also a weekend streetmobile.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
But, if you're lowering the mounting point 1" (or 1.75"), does it really matter what the mounting pattern is? :: ::

I think they are too short. IIRC, the difference is about 1", but my memory isn't what it used to be! ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts