Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions welcome.

I was given a used 302 long block with good heads, rods, and crank. The block is already at .60 over so I need a new one. Summit Racing is selling a NEW 5.0L block for $299. This seams like a great deal.

So the question is do I buy another complete used 302 engine for $300 or a brand new 5.0 block for $300?

BTW, this is for a daily driver so correctness is not important.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 69machwon on 04/13/01 11:14 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
with the new block you get cool stuff like a roller cam, but you also get compatibility problems as in the rear seal being one piece as opposed to two. I am sure there are other small differences, but irregardless you get a brand new non overboard block. I say got with summit

http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/199/26/31992601.jpg

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't think the 2 piece rear seal is a problem at all. The only difficulty is if you have a manual transmission since the engine boss for the equalizer bar is gone but you can buy an andapter for that.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
185 Posts
Blueoval, I just had to tell you how AWESOME that bronco is. Man I love those things. I almost bought a 72 here a while back and I hate now that i didn't.

69 M code, 4spd, Mach 1(project)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot!

I used to own:
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/199/68/31996835.jpg
now I own:
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/199/26/31992601.jpg
what can I say this forum is too good to leave!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wolud go for the new 5.0. Roller cam, and it just being a new block, and I believe there stronger!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You might contact PAW about the availability of a seasoned 302 block. Might be cheaper. They have lots of long block and short block kits, so they might have just the blocks available also.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
If you are building a stout motor (and are looking for block strength), I believe the small block Windsor rankings are as follows:
1) SVO
2) Mexican
3) "C5" 289 blocks
4) 302 (early)
5) "5.0"
6) 302 (late)

Depending upon your other goals (i.e. installing a manual tranny, therefore needing the bell crank boss (unless you're going to fab a cable or hyd), wanting to run the standard hyd roller cam setup, etc.,) you may sacrifice some "strength" to accommodate your other accessories.
If it's a "daily driver", I doubt you'll be cracking to many blocks.

My advice is to avoid the "piece together" strategy. If all you have is a crank and rods, you'll go bankrupt in the long run. Purchase a crate motor, or used assembled motor. Even if you have to rebuild an already complete motor, you'll save mucho $$$$$$

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts