Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever live in Mexico or spend a significant amount of time there?

We are thinking about being p/t residents in Central Mexico.

I like the climate, the food and the atmosphere.

We can afford it and its different.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
The last few years that I was a pilot for American Eagle at DFW I flew almost exclusively to Mexico. Many of our pilots refused to go there so I pretty much had my choice of whichever flights I wanted. I spent a lot of time in Puebla, San Luis Potosi, Aguascalientes, Leon/Guanajuato and Queretaro. Are any of those in the area you're considering?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I’ve gigged in all of the places @awthx flew into plus the usual Baja, Mexico City (used to go there regularly to gig), Guadalajara, Cozumel, Monterey and some others. Of all of them I’d pick Baja, somewhere between Ensenada and San Filipe.

Have you spent much time down there?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somewhere around Lake Chapala maybe. We dont want to be on the coast and dont want to deal with humidity. We also dont want to be near touristy areas.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I go like 2-3 weeks a year. Normally in Mexico City. Lots of fun and pretty safe. The beaches are nice but seems you don't want to liver there so cant help you much. Food and lodging cheap. Electronic are expensive. You will not see too many Classic Mustangs there. I have only seen 1 fastback (extremely rare as they were not made there). Probably seen around 10-20 coupes. 2 or 3 verts. Classic cars are not too common but you will see them upon occasion. I had been admiring a 1958 dodge delivery van for like over 10 years and finally met the guy that owned it. Was talking to him about his car and he showed me his other car that is locked up and hidden in his carport. It was a 1965 Shelby Cobra. Anyways, you will enjoy if you go but be careful on where you buy.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
Somewhere around Lake Chapala maybe.
I have flown to Guadalajara many times but never overnighted there (the American crews did the overnight flights). I have seen Lake Chapala from the air and I have heard there is a community of some 10K-20K retired Americans living there. Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico so it will be similar to most any large city anywhere else.
I enjoyed the overnights in those smaller Central Mexico towns I mentioned and in other towns like Chihuahua, Hermosillo and Torreon. I used to go out walking all over the place and nobody even gave me a second look.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
A note about Lake Chapala. It is pretty safe compared. But it is close to Guadalajara ( I think around an hour away) and Guadalajara does have crime rate similar to Mexico City. . Also, I hear, you cant swim in the lake. It is warmer than CDMX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Several people in west Texas have homes in San Miguel. They really like it and is/was safe. Don't know if there have been changes lately.
On a side note, I knew a guy in Shreveport that restored a few Cobras and Shelby's for a guy in Dallas. He was going to open a Shelby museum in Dallas some day. Last car I knew Shreveport was working on was a Daytona coupe, yes, real one. They had just disassembled it when the owner said put it on a trailer, he was coming to get it. He had sold it. When asked why would he sell it he said Carroll said he could use his Daytona.
How this relates to Mexico, the Shreveport guy asked if they would get anymore to build and they were told with the money from the sale he was going to Mexico to buy Trans AM Mustangs in Mexico. Seems when teams got newer models to race they did not want to race against their old cars so they sold them to teams in Mexico.
I moved so did not know what happened later.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
I live part-time in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico since 2010. Met my late husband there, and we had eight wonderful years together down there. I love the place, and since I'm a diver, it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Somewhere around Lake Chapala maybe. We dont want to be on the coast and dont want to deal with humidity. We also dont want to be near touristy areas.
Ajijic or Jocotepec? My father in law has a condo in Joco. Nice place and a nice walmart in Ajijic. I have lived in Nuevo Leon and Cuahuila and spent a lot of time in/around Guadalajara. Feel free to message me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there RV parks in Mexico that are similar to what we are used to here in the U.S.?

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts