Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story we know nothing about vintage cars. We found this forum on Google. Our aunt bought this car in the 1970s from the dealer off the showroom floor, she is the only owner. She married my uncle and he would race the car with his soccer buddies. She gave it four flats and it has been sitting in the garage since 1980-1985. It is complete, and it has not been started since. It did run when it was put in the garage. Dashboard reads 6,895 miles. There is no rust that I could find and underneath looks very clean. This car is in northern NJ. The home etc will be sold in an estate sale, the car will be held until we find out enough about it and the right place to sell it. Figure this is a good place to start. Any info would be appreciated, thanks for the help. Trying to find a good estimate for this car in original condition, not running obviously but complete.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
It looks like you found a '69 or '70 Shelby GT 500. I wish I could find one of those in my aunt's garage!

FWIW: There were unsold '69 Shelbys at the beginning of the '70 model year so under the watchful eye of the FBI or DOT those remaining '69 Shelbys became '70 models by changing the VIN legally.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nice! Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Aside from the forum mentioned above, Hagerty price guide is also a good resource. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
So, where are you located? What city?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Like Woodchuck, I smell boogerism. I have decades of experience in professional photography, many years of Photoshop experience and the middle photo in particular is heavily "adjusted", but not professionally. It looks like a low level iPhone attempt. I'd be very careful about replying to this post with any personal information. Just a thought from my paranoid alter ego.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Will post there thanks. They have a lot of kids so we will see how this goes. Will post some pics when we yank it out.
Before pics the VIN and title status is more important. You’ll have to forgive (or at least accept) the scepticism of myself and some of my forum colleagues. When a new member shows up out of the blue with potentially a six figure when restored car it’s, shall we say, not normal. You found the right place along with SAAC and Concours Mustang. But be prepared for some pointed questions. Nothing personal that’s just how it is until we get to know you.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
First off, it is beat up, dirty, needs a paint job, been sitting for so long the fuel has turned to jell-o and likely a pile of other repairs. So, you are NOT going to get a "Barrett-Jackson", gee I just won the lotto price. Please look underneath to make sure the floors are there with no holes.
There are no price guides for a car in this shape. None.
Cars parked with just 6885 miles do NOT look like that. Probably 106885 miles.
But good luck with your future sale.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good time to put my ad in VMF for "Supa Dave's Garage Cleaning Service"?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The car is in Garfield NJ
Ok, Ive got a deal for you.
Don't clean out the garage! I will do it for you . I will remove everything in the garage, load it on a truck, clean and sweep the floor. When I finish you will have a completely cleaned out garage and you can watch sitting in a chair. Think of all the work will you will not have to do. That is the deal of a life time.

yarb

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just another shelby beater. Low miles..........dont see it. BUT, I have been wrong in the past.
Best of luck if your for real.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Folks: Cars you think are worth 6 figure money most often just have had a 6 figure cost in the restoration.
If you can tell the condition of the car by a few pics that’s some mad skillz level Kreskin you got goin’ on there...

Based on what was posted there isn’t enough info. There were just over 1500 made that year. Depending on what the Marti says it could be pretty rare. It doesn’t look like a 6k mile car but in fairness the guy said that’s what the odometer read. Not likely the mileage judging from what limited pics were posted. Even at 106k miles in the northeast for only 15 years (ASSuming the garaged time frame is accurate) the potential rust potential is still moderate to heavy. Until you get it up in the air you just don’t know.

Many of us were born at night but it wasn’t last night. We know what cars are worth and what it takes to get them back to showroom or at least excellent quality condition. Before the virus a driver quality survivor GT500 can fetch $80-90k. Moderate restored cars $120 or so. Like you say most restorations of any car (or customs) put more into it than it’s worth. That’s how guys like Kindig and Strope stay in business.

Assuming moderate metal, most cores in good shape for a rebuild, paint, interior and other mechanical in the restoration. Let’s use average shop list of 400 hrs =$40k, parts $30k, paint $20k, donor $30k. We don’t know enough about the donor but if the mechanicals and interior are anything like the paint it’s going to be somewhat knackered. That puts us at about $120k. Perhaps the value, perhaps not. Still a six figure car. If I’m a real shop that buys projects on spec my cost is closer to $20k labor, $24k parts, $10k paint, still $30k donor. At $85k you could make a $125k car. Or better. There might be a handful of garage guys that could do that but by and large a real shop is going to need to do it to keep the value. This is a “find a buyer” car not an auction car.

Until we see the pedigree, title status and the actual condition we’re jackin’ off a dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
When I was a kid there was a story about a 1963 Corvette with 30 miles sitting a garage. It went for $300 because the interior smelled really bad...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts