Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The OP‘s photos were posted with the density of at least a 10 MP camera, more than likely it’s 12 MP. The resolution is 4032x3024. Those have only been common for no more than the last four years or so certainly not 10 years.

I’ve got some time waiting for a thread sealer to cure so I opened them both in hi res photo editing software. The shots you posted have been reduced so it makes it harder to get some detail but they can still be blown up though not at the resolution the new pics can.

Here’s the spot I was talking about.

If you look at the pic you posted those aren’t in the same condition. There is primer on both but not in the same place. Have a gander at the top of the bumper. Not the surface rust there was on the OP pic. I had to boost the contrast and it’s pixelated from the enlargement but it’s close enough to see the differences.
It looks obvious that the front bumpers are not the same. If you take a look at Vegasloki's 1st enlarged picture in posting #70, the passenger side bumper is nicely curved as it meets the trim from above-similar to original shape. The picture #2 shows a bumper that is almost a 90 degree bend upward at the passenger end, that appears to be one that might have been damaged prior to, or could it be possibly after, the "garage confinement" photo?

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts

·
Vendor
3,724 Posts
It looks obvious that the front bumpers are not the same. If you take a look at Vegasloki's 1st enlarged picture in posting #70, the passenger side bumper is nicely curved as it meets the trim from above-similar to original shape. The picture #2 shows a bumper that is almost a 90 degree bend upward at the passenger end, that appears to be one that might have been damaged prior to, or could it be possibly after, the "garage confinement" photo?
That's just an illusion created by the camera angle of the first shot you cited. If you could walk around a 69-70 Shelby in person, you'd see that's what the bumper looks like from the first angle, and that's what the bumper looks like from the other angle. And in the first shot, if you just drop the camera down a bit, and move it more towards the side, you'd see an entirely different shape and profile that better compliments the picture #2.

There's no damage to either bumper, just looks like the bumper got a gentle "tap" at some point that tweaked the mounts/brackets.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
So I'm guessing this was a joke, OP posted a few threads and never came back.
I don't think a joke, but a scam very possible. If a scam his other thread was nothing more than an attempt to make him seem more credible. Best way to dispose of some old scrap copper core radiators? Hmm.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Maybe someone made the OP an offer he couldnt refuse and he has no need for VMF now.

A car like that isnt going to sit around.

My friend who was the original owner of a 69 Camaro, all original except for a 6 speed, made some noise that he wanted to sell last year. A couple days later a guy shows up at his door with 20k in hand. My friend was hoping for 14k. Word travels fast. Turns out, I told my wife, who mentioned it to her students, one of them who told her dad and he has a friend.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Short story we know nothing about vintage cars. We found this forum on Google. Our aunt bought this car in the 1970s from the dealer off the showroom floor, she is the only owner. She married my uncle and he would race the car with his soccer buddies. She gave it four flats and it has been sitting in the garage since 1980-1985. It is complete, and it has not been started since. It did run when it was put in the garage. Dashboard reads 6,895 miles. There is no rust that I could find and underneath looks very clean. This car is in northern NJ. The home etc will be sold in an estate sale, the car will be held until we find out enough about it and the right place to sell it. Figure this is a good place to start. Any info would be appreciated, thanks for the help. Trying to find a good estimate for this car in original condition, not running obviously but complete. View attachment 748547 View attachment 748548 View attachment 748550 .
Interesting.... So I have some questions:

So with the very large “GT500” on both front fenders of the car in yellow, or the “Shelby” badges - you really don’t know what your Aunt has sitting there? Is this just a joke?

Why is there graffiti and primer along the passenger side of the car, did it used to sit out on the streets - or when you guys were kids “playing inside and using the bars as your jungle gym” also decide to paint the car as it sat there?

Here’s my NJ to NJ offer, $40k as it sits, I don’t even care if it runs or not and I’ll carefully help clean everything off and away from it. But I’m sure you have really low ball offers coming in via your Private Messages on here telling you how it’s not worth that much in its current condition or you probably have higher offers too.

Post more pics - with COVID19 being rampant and the current NJ Govt orders to shelter in place and no driving around after 8pm - that garage should be pretty clean by now...:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some who-knows-who from who-knows-where pops in here with a story chock full of information we don't need to know and a couple of "teaser" pics. Ask yourself why.

The thread title says the car is "for sale". The only problem is, it's not the OP's car to sell. What could be more enticing than a one owner car like this, and let's make that one owner a female to boot. One owner female, gadzooks! How many women would even buy such a car in 1970? We're talking needle in a haystack stuff here, juicy irresistible! "No rust", "very clean", "complete", those are the OP's words. Only how would he know any of that without a personal inspection, and if the car was cleared of enough debris to get a good look, then why no decent pics? Why only drool and wet your appetite "hint" pics? And how about that uncle, the dude married to the owner, who says it won't be sold? Why, it's your challenge to pry it away from them with an offer to good to refuse! Not only that, but the OP is standing by to broker your deal! What luck!

Real stories like this happen every blue moon or so and maybe this is one of those times. I'm not saying the car doesn't even exist and this is a scam to take "sight unseen deposit money", I'm just saying some of us didn't just fall off the pumpkin truck.
It READS TEASE IN LIGHTS BRIGHTER THAN ELVIS COMEBACK '68 SPECIAL !
(been round the block a few times, where's the vin pic ??)

·
Premium Member
13,080 Posts
When I was a kid there was a story about a 1963 Corvette with 30 miles sitting a garage. It went for $300 because the interior smelled really bad...
Sounds like a normal Corvette, in my opinion all Corvettes smell bad (i.e. stink) , inside & out .

never been able to tell if the owners put the smell in them, or vice versa. Probably a from the factory no charge mandatory option.

Z

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sounds like a normal Corvette, in my opinion all Corvettes smell bad (i.e. stink) , inside & out .

never been able to tell if the owners put the smell in them, or vice versa. Probably a from the factory no charge mandatory option.

Z
The story was sort of an urban legend told by high school boys in my area in the early 70s. There were several versions that were based around someone dying in a 63 Corvette and the body remained in the Corvette in a garage for a long time. The car was near new when it happened and no one would buy the car. Finally, the widow of the deceased owner sold it to a kid for $300. Or so the story went...

Yes, I believe some people put bad smells in cars on purpose. A few years ago I bought a really nice low mileage Thunderbird. And the stink was unbelievable. It was a very strong odor of BO, Old Spice, and cheap perfume. The BO was mostly confined to caked-on residue on the seat belts. Someone must have dumped a bottle of Old Spice on the driver side carpet. And perfume was dumped on the center armrest of the back seat. The car may have been the victim of a divorce dispute. Getting the smell out required removing the complete interior cleaning it with a pressure washer.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The 66 Emberglo we got for my son smelled bad. Mostly closed up for years, but a squirrel or chipmunks had been nesting and pissing in the heater box and cowl, nuts were everywhere and they used a bunch of the front seat foam for building materials. I finally got rid of every single thing made of cloth except the seat belts, and I'm looking for deluxe Emberglo belts for it now. (Probably gonna put parchment 3-points in front). The worst smelling part? A nasty old steering wheel cover that would gag a maggot riding on a gut truck...

1477653765080.jpg

81 - 98 of 98 Posts