Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tons of back issues of Mustang Monthly, Mustangs and Fords, Mustang Illustrated, Fabulous Mustangs and Exotic Fords and others. I have them stacked here and there packed in boxes. You name it I have them stored there. My SWMBO has told me numerous times to trash them but I can't. I find myself looking through some of them from time to time.

What does everyone do with their copies after reading them?

In this months Mustang Monthly (August) they listed a web site that has old issues idexed so now I can even do a search for the correct issue and page number in that issue. Now if I can find the time to organize all of them. :: Index of Mustang Magazines

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I keep 'em and go back and re-read them months, even years, later. I always seem to find something I missed the first (or second) time, and I keep the tech articles around for references.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about organization? How does everyone store them? I really don't have a method now that works. Where ever there is a place they go.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I save all of mine which includes MM and MCA MT. I have a collection back to '89 in boxes by year. I also have a computer program that I purchased for MM that you can enter a search for a subject and it will give you the year, month and page number.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I clip and file pertinent tech articles. Give back issues to my brother to read, and generally keep a few around. I was inspired by a kool 66 vert which had the maier trunk spoiler, so I built my own. I guess I'm not very organized with my mags...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I put them in cardboard magazine holders, bought a 4' shelved, doored, melamine cabinet ($125) and they're in the garage now. with large numbers of magazines and financially challenged, I got large pieces of cardboard from a furniture company, cut (roughly) pyramidal shapes out, folded into holders, and secured using a heavy-duty stapler which had a deep throat. It was much easier when my wife came across a Walmart closeout, when the holders were about 10 cents apiece, but they're normally 10 times that (quite a racket on cardboard pre-mades) Each commercial holder will hold 1 1/2 to 2 years of issues. I have a graphic spreadsheet I used for inventoring them, shows 20 years to a page.

On the alternative; box them up, mail them to me, and I'll scan all the articles and get them back to you in the next year or two or...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a set of shelves specifically dedicated to them in my garage. Great reference materials. Don't you dare trash them!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to trash them like my SWMBO wants me to. I just take the ones she finds around and move them somewhere else for now. I guess this can be a winter project for me. Organize my magazines. If anyone hears a thud that maybe my wife passing out because I got something organized. :D

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I have every MM since 1982 and some earliers. They are on a couple shelves in closet in my den and are NOT in order. Also have a large M&Fords, and some Mustang Illustrated. Am planning on getting rid of the Mustang Times issues but not the rest. Already gave away a huge Street Rod, Rod Action, R&C, etc. Kept the Vol 1 No 1's. The MM mags are tattered and have been taped up. Do read them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i keep all of mine on a bookshelf in my bedroom, they make for great bathroom material, and also great refernces, ive gone back many times to find something that helped me out .

·
Registered
334 Posts
I keep mine in a big bookcase, in Monthly order so i can find em when i need them .. for the How-To's and its fun to just look back at the older pics .. for instance we think restomodding is a new trend but it aint so .. i have mags back to the early 80's and missing some issues so pleassse dont discard yours ...

By the way you dont need any fancy computer program all you need is to bookmark this URL .. http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/magsrch.htm for the Mustang Magazine Database .. i've found it a fantastic resource .. you can do searches on any article for Mustang Monthly, Mustang and fords, and Mustang Illustrated .. and if you're anal enough to keep your issues in order .. like certain people, lol .. then you can go right to the issue .. (the database is updated up to Feb of 2003 so far) ..

James

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I had a pile of them, kept moving them around and finally had to get rid of some. I couldn't bring myself to throw them in the trash...So I donated them to the local High School. The Art dept, or the shop class was a great place, and I at least felt that it was going to some good. I like to think that at least one kid enjoyed them and may have even gotten inspired. But I know they got cut up. Todd.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
They are piled here and there. Someday I am going to sort them by date and index the articles. ::

·
Registered
460 Posts
Office Depot has plastic magazine holders that fit into D-ring binders. The two inch D-ring binders hold twelve issues and the holders come twelve to a pack. I have all of the 1993 through 2002 issues in these. They are easy to store on a book shelf and easier to search for information in than the 1986 through 1992 issues that I still have in plastic magazine boxes.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a pile of MM's from the late 80's, i try'd to keep them in order, but it wouldn't stay that way, so now i just have a pile on my bedroom floor of just my mustang books, mags, etc. In a couple years, though, I'll start organizing them, cause by then I'll have at least one more subscription to deal with.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
1978 - 2003: I have them in document protectors, in the D ring notebooks, 1 notebook per year, labeled, lined up in my master bedroom closet. It is 6 1/2 feet long. Have every issue but 4 of them, including 3 of the First Issue. Extrea I swap or, when I get enough year sets, send the off to the bay, give them to high schools, leave one at the doctor's office, put a copy in with parts I sell, etc.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i save all mine everywhere!!! lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
I choose to acumulate a stack, flagging pertinent articles relating to my interests and needs with Post-It notes, and wait for a local Kwik-Copy or similar outlet to run a special on copies. My tons of magazines were reduced to a few of large copy paper boxes, which I plan to file by subject with hanging folders. Even the color copies aren't very expensive. I even traded my back issues to the manager of one of these places for materials and labor in laminating and ring-binding all my Osborne restoration manuals, so they can be used in the garage and wipe clean...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts