Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family owns a shop in Paterson NJ, the shop has been there since the early 1900's. My parents are older now and are looking to unload some/all of the inventory, on the second floor it is full of vintage radiators (mostly radiators), heater cores and air conditioning condensers. These are all for old or very old applications. We had the catalogs on these but were damaged when the roof leaked as I was going to help them label and catalog these for sale on Ebay. It is impossible to know what they all are for now without all of the vintage catalogs that showed the measurements etc. And with so much up there it is just a huge job.

Does anyone have any contact info on someone that deals in vintage manufacture items that would just take the whole lot etc?

They aren't looking to get nothing for them., ie, reasonable offers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You would have to test each one for leaks to determine saleability. Scrap price for copper may be your best option.

·
Premium Member
6,798 Posts
Are they "new" or "used" old items?

I am in Texas, and at swap meets, they are a significant number of used old radiators that sometimes are selling for less than copper. I also virtually never see someone walking around with one, for exactly the reason listed above: Leaks?

The other issue is the question: What does it fit? Oh, what do you have? A 1947 Deframlisous with an prototype Wankel engine. Yes, it fits that.

I picked up a 2 Model T radiators and 4 early 50's Ford radiators. All were big, and they were at an estate sale for $5 each. I tried selling them on ebay for basically scrap plus ebay ./ paypal / shipping, and got zero hits, so they went off to scrap.

I have 2 FOMOCO radiators on ebay right now, a C4ZE Mustang and a 1967 FOMOCO. Both are a bit over scrap, and no hits for 2 months, so they are getting ready to go to scrap as I COVID clean the garage and get rid of stuff laying around.

If you scrap, couple comments.

Clean copper Clean Brass etc.

Typical old radiator is brass tanks, copper cores, and steel straps on the sides. Taking it as it will result in, depending on the place, 60% or more deduction because of the steel. I take a chisel and hand sledge, hit the solder joints a few times, and pop off the steel sides. Well worth it. 10 radiators at 40 pounds apiece = 400 pounds. $80 cents dirty (steel) is $320. $1.60 brass is $660.

If you want to step up the game, I have a SAWZALL that I can cut the top and bottom tanks off in a couple minutes, Tanks are $1.60, copper cores (Most of the weight) are $2.60, so about another $300.

Big ASTERISK: I do not know scrap prices in Jersey, and local scrap laws. In Texas, the recycling companies issue a photo ID with thumb print to cut down on scrap metal thefts. Also, I have not checked prices since the crash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is new or rebuilt with the original heads using new copper panels using the original radiator heads. But it sounds like scrap is the way to go. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,798 Posts
If they are new or rebuilt, you may contact local shops to see if they are interested at say, $5 a pound for whatever they take.

At this moment, who knows what the market it.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I was going to say scrap also. Just wait until all the BS is over and prices go up.

I go to Feldman Brothers a couple times a week. Hey what was with that garage fire next to Bonefish on Market street?

Feldman Brothers is a big electric supply house. If they don't have it, you don't need it!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Contact Packard Industries in Boonton , NJ. I use them for vintage engine and brake parts that are hard to find .

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Tough call, if you ID any of the early ones, I would make an attempt to sell those, especially if they are ornate and well tooled.

Who knows, there might be a Bugatti or Crossley tucked away up there. A shop that old probably repaired some autos that havent been seen on the road in decades or manufactures that went out of business because of the World Wars or depression.

It might be worth getting some one with knowledge of old makes in there to take a look around before you scrap a irreplaceable piece of history.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Bbild, sent me a private message and I'll give you some ideas. I know folks who still have the catalogs. LSG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts