Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the right forum to put this, as there are plenty of old tires out there on our rides, and the question of tire age is sometimes asked here.

Kids, 10YO 6 plys and 70+ on the highway do not mix. This was my Sunday. Basically ALL day. Ended up with a roll back to get it back to the house. They looked perfect before the journey, btw as I did check the pressure prior to flight. I felt a slight tug and checked the mirror, and said something short and to the point as I headed towards the shoulder. Glad the trailer was empty at the time, and that the rooster tail of rubber chunks didn't hit anyone else. My own fault. I violated my own rule of nothing over 6YO tire wise unless it's a tractor. Learn from my mistake. And carry a 4lb hammer for roadside bodywork when 'trailering.'

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I always carry a spare when pulling my trailer. And don't be tricked into buying those cheap Chinese trailer tires. The only ones that I will run are Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. They will cost more, but they will get you home.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I had a couple Kelley tires fail on my motorhome last year. 6+ years old. I went with some commercial Goodyear Endurance truck tires.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
See it all the time on classics. Tires that were made in the last century, but they "look fine" to the owner. A new set of rubber is a lot less expensive than fixing the damage they cause.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
This brings back very negative memories! When I purchased my car I had to drive 14 hours to get it and trailer it back home. When we left we noticed one tire had been sitting with low air on the trailer and decided to not chance it so we swapped the spare on and took that off, aired it up to let it sit and take shape again, except forgot to put it in the back of the truck when we left...... when we picked my car up it wasnt really driveable, the clutch was so bad there was no letting it out, it was either dump the clutch and go or not. Not ideal for pulled up onto a trailer. So we had a nice little hill out of the driveway and rolled the car onto trailer. Fast forward about 25 miles after getting car, one other tire blows out on trailer, shreads tire, piece flips up and hit side of car leaving a good scratch and we have no spare. We just drove all night long with no sleep, hadnt eaten breakfast and its 6:30am where no where around is open. Not able to take the car off trailer because I dont think we would of got it back on, my dad unhooked trailer and put trailer on jackstands and left me there to look after car.

Now it happens to be the hottest day that year somehow, Im left on the side of the highway, no drink, hadnt eaten and hadnt slept in over 24 hours, my dad takes about 4 hours to get a tire and get back (during this time he decided to not answer his phone) and decided ge needed to run to a junk yard and get a spare rim to put another tire on just in case. Im sitting in the ditch now having he stroke, vision is getting blurry, I had sweated so much I actually stopped sweating and its about 106 degrees outside when he finally shows back up. Again not pleasant memories there, only tile in my life Ive felt like that out in the heat.

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
I get new tires about every 5 years, long before the tread is worn out. The sidewall cracking makes it even sooner.

Reactions: Wayne clark

·
Registered
305 Posts
The tires on an F150 I Just picked up were manufactured in 2002. My wife doesn't understand why I wont even take it for an emissions test before I get new rubber...

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
About 6-8 years is the limit for me on tires depending on dry rot and if the vehicle is parked in a garage or outside.

I have known quite a few folks that run around are tires that are 15 years old or older. Some of them say that they don't drive the car much and it doesn't need tires for what they do.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
About 2016, I purchased a dual axle car hauler trailer. Great shape and the tires looked good. Driving it home on the interstate, some people were waving and pointing back. Ugh, never a good sign. I eased over and stopped. Dang, one of the tires was coming apart. My truck lug wrench would not fit the lugs. Lugs were too big. I was almost at an exit. Of course no autoparts place for 20 miles, the quick-stop store person said. Across the road was a chevy dealer that was well known. I pulled over on the service road and stopped at the shop. Asked one guy if I borrow the correct size socket, to fit those lugs. He knew what it was without going and looking at it. Some of the guys in the shop were snickering...After all, I was driving an F150...lol Took the wheel off and added more air to the lone tire on that side and made it home ok. Got all of them changed that week, plus a new wheel/rim for a spare and carry the correct size lug nut tool. Not going to get me again! :mad:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
See it all the time on classics. Tires that were made in the last century, but they "look fine" to the owner. A new set of rubber is a lot less expensive than fixing the damage they cause.
Or being dead. I hear a funeral is pricey.

I worked in tire shops in my younger days. Saw a lot. 4 years for me tops on the old Mustang. 4 15” tires are cheap AF for your life. This current set of BFG T/A’s are holding up so poorly it’ll prob but done by year 3 next year.

·
Registered
21,573 Posts
At my last job we rented a 30' scissor lift. I went along shotgun to pick it up. The trailer was a single axle with passenger car 15" tires. I knew right from the start the trailer was going to be grossly overloaded. So we go to the rental place and they load it on the trailer with a BIG forklift. The tires on the trailer both went flat due to very low tire pressure, no one checked them before hand. Luckily the rental store was able to pump up the tires. I'd say that lift was easily 6000 pounds and the trailer, maybe rated to 3500 pounds. I prayed we didn't blow a tire on the way back as there was no way we were going to be jacking it up. Luckily it was no more then a 5 mile trip at 25 mph. We made it with no issues. That was a long 5 miles!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I picked up my '66 Coupe in 1986 in Southern California and put it on a u-haul tow dolly for the trip back to Portland Ore. Didn't even occur to me to check the tow dolly tires. In the mountains between the two states someone pulls up next to me and points to the trailer. Bad sign. There was a wide spot on the interstate so I pulled in and saw what was wrong, tire was shredded. Across the interstate was a CHP Officer. I waved to him and he came over to help. He called u-haul for me (no cell phone back then). Second time I've been helped out by a CHP. Good guys!
So u-haul shows up after a few hours, wrong rim. He disappears to get a different rim. After sitting on the side of the road for 8 hours I was finally ready to move out again.
Wife, 3 small children on the side of the road in the snow for 8 hours :-(
Unbelievably a co-worker was on his way back to Portland and saw us. Left me with a thermos of hot coffee. Great guy.
The ONLY good thing was that I was able to teach my son how to write his name in the snow :) .
The girls weren't even willing to try 🤷‍♂️

To this day we call that company U-STALL

Reactions: j persons

·
Registered
929 Posts
Too many trailers out there with passenger car tires on them because people are too cheap or don't know any better.
There's a reason they make tires especially for trailers.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Too many trailers out there with passenger car tires on them because people are too cheap or don't know any better.
There's a reason they make tires especially for trailers.
Truth! The trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall. They actually cost a little less than car tires.

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
176 Posts
Nothing like the thrill of loosing a tire at 70 MPH on the Interstate. Only happened one and NEVER again due to an old tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's the reason why in Switzerland we don't run older tyres than 5 years. Highly recommended to change tyres after max. 5 years of useage / non-useage.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Hey All, I like the idea of being cautious. Thats why mine are relegated to 55 or less at all times while I am looking. I would NOT trust however, any tire that come from China. I just wouldn't. The Chinese were caught marking the their tires AHEAD by several years. Nanking trailer tires were blowing 10 minutes off the lot. I'll use tires from USA and France and Germany. No China tires for me. It is more complicated than simply age. LSG

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts