Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I am cleaning in the garage with Mrs, and we have almost a dozen small square~ish flat screen monitors, and 3 27-30 inch diagonal CRT televisions. Does anybody out there want these kinda things anymore ? The monitors just kinda accumulated, and the TVs were going to be in the corners of the garage so I could listen to news and / or car races while I'm working out there. Mrs says lets just get some new flat screens, 'cause they're so much cheaper now,........haven't seen any electronics recycle drop offs in quite awhile. Ideas ? They all work, we just don't need or want anymore......LSG

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not much value in them anymore. Some people don't like craigslist and the like but I would stick em on CL at $10-$20 each and see if they go away. Someone may want them and it will save the hassle of taking it to an electronics recycling place.

Don't invite the people in the house. I always have stuff ready to stick out in the driveway before they arrive. Garage door closed. In this case I'd have an extension cord available so that they can plug it in and see that it turns on.

I tried to get take a crt to goodwill a few years ago. They wouldn't take it.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
The crts, are a guaranteed trip to the recycling place. Save yourself the headache and just take all of it in one trip.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
We are fortunate enough to have a recycle site for such things. Of course we pay for that in county taxes. No more CRT's on the burn pile though!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
My last one is on the garage floor also, I was sent a Roku box that will actually output over RCA cables so it lives on!
We have a spring clean city trash off every year old TVs are a no dump like tires and batteries, Goodwill wont take them! A few years ago I buried two that died, Another I took target practice on then smashed it small enough to go into bags and go away with the regular garbage:)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
CRTs are dump/recycle items now....few years ago you could put them on the curb with a for sale sign and they would disappear in a few hours.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
I tried to drop a few off to Good Will a while back, they said they can’t even Give them away,....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not much value in them anymore. Some people don't like craigslist and the like but I would stick em on CL at $10-$20 each and see if they go away. Someone may want them and it will save the hassle of taking it to an electronics recycling place.

Don't invite the people in the house. I always have stuff ready to stick out in the driveway before they arrive. Garage door closed. In this case I'd have an extension cord available so that they can plug it in and see that it turns on.

I tried to get take a crt to goodwill a few years ago. They wouldn't take it.
Try free. Set then outside of your garage and put the ad up. They will be gone in 24 hours.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
People sometimes give away CRT TVs on my local neighborhood forum page. That's your best hope. Otherwise, you will likely have to pay to recycle them. I don't know about your area, but in Colorado, it's against the law to throw a TV in the trash.

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Yes, limited use for them, but the can is being kicked down the road. 200,000,000 available, 1,000 needed.

Please recycle or dispose of correctly. Some of the CRT wind up as shooting targets, put on poles and shot off, floated into ponds / lakes and shot, etc. leaving a big mess of glass and environmental nastys out there. Those sit on the curb for free are often the same ones 2 weeks later laying smashed in some alley, roadside, etc.

Bite the bullet and get them in a disposal / recycling stream.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob, thats my frustration, I would like to do something OTHER than use them for target practice, and my recycle station / dump here where I live will take them if I pay, and I'm willing, but they just dump them. I'd love to see them stripped for metals or somehow pulled apart. There USED TO BE electronics recycle drop offs, but we don't seem to have those anymore. LSG

·
Registered
628 Posts
Electronics are recycled just not CRTs.
I knew a guy who took the state surplus computer equipment and recycled it.
He had buyers for the plastic, circuit boards, wire, etc. There's work involved, but it worked out for him. A good side business if you don't mind working.
The state was so happy, they wanted to know if he would take the old cars too!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Goodwill around here wont even take the box TVs anymore.
its all junk now

have 3 myself sitting in the cellar in perfect working order. cant even give them to the old widow down the street
she looked at me like i had 3 heads when i asked her if she wanted one

just hate to throw them out

·
4,129 Posts
Cathode Ray Tube or otherwise known as a boat anchor. Here in SoCal they will have a e-waste recycle drop off upon occasion. Was at the Home Depot today and there was one setup in the parking lot. I had about 6 or so various flatscreens and some CCTV cameras. They took it all for just a drivers license and signature. It was all dead stuff that I replaced for work.

fd

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it is a quality 4:3 CRT television, then retro gamers often want them. I sold my Sony 25" CRT for the equivalent of about $100 to someone who wanted to play old game consoles on it. It had an RGB SCART connector on it which made it more desirable.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JR, I will admit that I have NO IDEA what an RGB SCART is, but my wife is retired from an IT service company, and her boss is into vintage games. I will ask them if we have those and if anybody wants them. Thanks, thats a new idea to me. LSG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts