Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making the ...bold... claim to have the oldest set of original shocks on the Forum. I pulled the original set of Koni shocks off the early '66 Shelby a few months ago and had them professionally restored to NOS condition. Although they were 37 years old when I removed them, they were still very servicable. All four shocks were date coded 7-65. The restoration turned out very nice with correct early paint color, correct vintage decal, all the stamped detail still clearly visable, and completely rebuilt internally. Not cheap (probably cost 2X a new set of Konis) but well worth the cost.

Can anyone top that? :^)

·
Registered
455 Posts
The front shocks on my 65 convert are the original ones.The car was built on May 13,65.Also my 38 Ford still has it's original shocks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARRRGGGGG! My time in the spotlight lasted all of 2 minutes! :^)

take care

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
My Shelby's Koni's are the originals too... I'm not even sure they need restored in the true sense - I'm just cleaning them up and putting them back on. BTW, mine's a later 66, 2131, so technically you might have me beat if your car is a lower number ;-)

-bob

G

·
0 Posts
The front shocks on mine (10/64) look original but I haven't taken them out yet to inspect tem closely so don't take this as official. The rear shocks weren't original.

I'll probably end up tossing mine though original or not.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is 6S383. Looks like a build date of late August '65 as it retains all the original body panels and they are dated August 65. Shocks were a month or so earlier.

take care

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Sorry, didn't see your number on your signature line... Go me beat by a mile!!! :)

Must be a great car!!!! Got any pics? I'm going through Mustang withdrawal - sold the fastback and the Shelby's still in the body shop.

-bob

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
My 9/69 built 1970 BOSS still had it's original shocks, brake drums, rotors, wheel cyls. master cyl. Same with the 69 BOSS I have here now. Both 1 owner original Cailf. cars. Kinda neat to find'em like this.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Oh.......... I just help from replying. 6S296 still has her oringinal Konis as well. Not all that much older, but you dared us all to respond /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, I know, I dared everyone to respond. I knew there would be older shocks than mine out there. It's incredible what we learn about these cars..

take care

1 - 12 of 12 Posts