Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my old Fastback that I've had for over 25 years is mechanically in great shape. However, if you get closer than about 15 or 20 feet away, she is really looking shabby. Well, I drove it to a local show'n'shine, and this bastard with a 65 Coupe parks next to me... it has one of the best paint/body jobs I've ever seen. This was about 9 months ago, but have been stewing on this ever since. Well, it turns out the guy is local, about 15 minutes from my house. He is low production, does only one car at a time, although he does do some collision/insurance work. This guy is a fabricator, could have one of those shows. Anyway, I contacted him, I drove the car over and he looked it over, found things I never even noticed (as expected). He says he likes to see the cars before he signs up for them, and said he would do her. I was about 3rd in line, which meant about the end of June for my car to go in. Well, we taked just the other day and with the virus crap going on, the car in front of me might get pulled out of line - which means my car might be going in soon!
Now, this car is near and dear to me, I don't even like driving her long distances. Having to drop my car off for possibly a month is a scary thing for me... But I am so excited to finally get her done right. He didn't want me to mess with the bumpers or anything, he wants to line everything up. He said he doesn't do them unless they are ready to win a show. Woohoo! I'm finally going to do it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'll be the first to congratulate you.............and request as many pictures as you can please!!

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
734 Posts
That sounds super exciting and great to find someone local!!! Im still searching for that "person".

Chris

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Congrats! Mine has been in body/paint since October. Sort of the same deal - local guy with a passion for classics, but difference is he has a huge collision repair shop. He took on the project with the understanding he’d be doing it in his spare time.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Congrats. The only problem I can tell you of getting a shiny new paint job, is you will see other parts of your car and be like, oh now that stands out and needs to replace/fix that. :)

Reactions: 1966Stangman

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wife is pressuring me to “get the body work fixed” on mine so I can get the shiny red paint job. To be honest though, part of me wants to let it be a little rough and hodge podge, cause I know as soon as it has fresh paint I’ll be freaking out over every little blemish or scratch. I actually kinda wish my mustang wasn’t as pretty as it is. Sounds weird, the paint job is in great condition except for the few spots there’s a little rust.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, getting the before and after pics is a great idea. Tomorrow should be another nice day in the panhandle of Florida, so I'll see what I can do. At the very least I'll get the pics, and wait until I get her back.
Yeah, the nice thing about a car with a not-so-good paint job is you don't fret over it.... but I do like a shiny car. My other project, which I had painted before I even got it home, is my 76 Corvette. She is a show stopper, and I want my Fastback back to that category. She turns heads as she sits, but I'm finally ready to pull that trigger. My biggest problem is just that car NOT sitting in my garage - she has been my garage ornament for over 25 years....

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
I've had my car 28 years and I remember the separation anxiety of the last time I had it painted, 1995. Not looking forward to that, but it's due for a fresh coat.

Reactions: dh_66_fastback

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, I'm all worried that my car will be driven around without my knowledge, or wrecked, or even catch Coronavirus... well, OK, that's a bit overboard, lol.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
yeah, I'm all worried that my car will be driven around without my knowledge, or wrecked, or even catch Coronavirus... well, OK, that's a bit overboard, lol.
No comprende. Who said " I'm all worried that my car will be driven around without my knowledge"? Is your post in response to a post in this thread, or what?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Absolutely it's ok, regardless of whose thread it is. It was a simple non threatening question. I just couldn't place what post it was in response to. Sometimes folks delete their posts, making it hard to follow the thread. And sometimes they'll quote a particular thread to which they're replying, you tie them together.

I'm following this thread because it's a great story that I'm sure many of us would like to have happen to us. Good luck on the paint job.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the late reply, but thanks rpm. I finished the rear springs and shocks, put the old school wheels on that I picked up, with spoke hubcaps. I'll see if I can post a pic...

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
I married the girl and had two boys, so we had to have 3 cars !

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went to the Mustang international 2018 and thought my paint was not to bad. Well immediately after the show I started plans to get it repainted. When you go to show and shines and drive a lot you grow accustom to the issues with your car. For good or bad I now have a show car and will be more conservative about shows. mach was gone for around 4 months but was very close by for visiting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts