Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I remove the driveshaft from the C4, is tranny fluid gonna come gushing out?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yup

·
Registered
221 Posts
There will be some that comes out but it won't be gushing out. Just have a pan under the rear of the trans when you pull the driveshaft out. If you have the rear of the car jacked up so the angle of the trans is with the end of the trans the high point you shouldn't lose hardly any fluid.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Before you do, mark it so you know exactly how it came out. I had to rotate mine today to get rid of a sever vibration when I put it back in 180 degrees off....

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
Red sea unless the rear is higher than the front. Check with the auto parts store, they sell a plug for the trans.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No. Lift the car with a floor jack under the differenital. Set jack stands under the axle housing. This way, the trans is at a slight angle with the tail shaft point up. You won't loose a drop.

The trans plugs are a huge waist of time and money. I have one, and it's completely worthless.

Really the only time you'll have to worry about loosing any tranny fluid is if the rear wheels are on the ground, and the front of the car is WAY up in the air.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I made a cheap plug out of an old driveshaft. Just remove everything past the slip yoke, and you have a plug that seals as well as the driveshaft. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts