Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a little over a month of picking up the 67 I was able to get it out on the road for a 20 mile ride to the shop.

Have very little detail info on what was done to car over the past couple years. Guy was having it worked on and basically is not a "car guy" had it in a shop with a guy working on it but from the looks of things it was a backwoods mechanic...

Got all the lighting issues resolved (brake, blinkers, dash). Brakes need some work. Had front disc conversion and I have no pedal. Car stops but not real good. Had it at shop for past couple weeks. They bled the brakes said no air in lines, they said all braking components looked good, and adjusted proportion valve but they didn't have anything after that. Result no better than when I brought it in. Pictures are of my 20 mile ride to another shop that came recommended by local guys with classics said shop is real good so hoping for good news. With other things checking out I have think its either they used the wrong Master Cylinder when they did conversion or the rod from pedal to master needs adjustment.

Last owner had engine work done although again info very limited. Also changed from auto to manual which I really like BUT he used a SROD from early 80's Foxbody. I have heard nothing good about them but haven't had more than 20 miles with no brakes to tell anything. It shifted fine but I didn't do any more than get the car rolling and cruise down the road. I was told it was setup for a T5 and SROD was put in until he could get a T5. Again limited info.

It was bought as a project so not expecting things to happen overnight. But it sure was fun to finally take it down the road even with all it's needs.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
the SROD is based on the older top loader, some call it a fake top loader, but the reality is the gear sets do interchange. if its a fox body SROD then it has the aluminum case which is good.

the disadvantage is that the chasm between gears can bog down an engines performance, but the overdrive is nice. if you keep that trans, be careful what rear gear you choose to run. too steep a rear gear and first gear becomes useless. stay below 3.73-3.89 for best results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't have much to add but I can definitely relate to that "the car needs a ton of work but at least I got to drive it" feeling. It's the best feeling to me because it means that, no matter what else, you had fun in the car and at the end of the day driving it is all that matters. I'd rather be driving my "needs a lot of work" car than looking at my "everything is mint but it won't run or I can't drive it" car.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Before you wast a lot of money on shops that know less than you do, it might pay to put your car up on jack stands at home and ask a lot of questions on this forum. Your car looks awesome and I'd hate to see another vintage Mustang enthusiast lost to a string of incompetent machine / repair shops.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you wast a lot of money on shops that know less than you do, it might pay to put your car up on jack stands at home and ask a lot of questions on this forum. Your car looks awesome and I'd hate to see another vintage Mustang enthusiast lost to a string of incompetent machine / repair shops.
Thank you Nailbender I’m not planning on throwing in the towel anytime soon. This car has been a dream of mine for many years.

I can handle most things or at least have friends that can help. For whatever reason I always get worried about messing with brakes. Hoping this guy can get me straight there and I can get it back home and continue to move things around on my priority list.

When I first got it she was running a little rough. Tracked down some exhaust leaks and she runs much better. There was a rats nest of wires on floor I went through all those and got rid of what was not needed and cleaned up and rerouted what was needed. Had no dash lights, no blinkers, no tail lights and no brake lights. Got those all set. Previous owner changed from auto to manual installed a hideous wildwood clutch pedal sticks out like a sore thumb so need to order a drake repro or even better find a 67 if I can without braking the bank. Transmission is on the list was hoping I could get some other things done like figure out why the heat doesn’t work and fix that, it’s a factory AC car with no AC components under the hood so I’d like to restore that, exhaust ends at the Flowmaster so need to continue that to back of car but if the transmission needs to be replaced higher up the list then I will jump that up and find a T5 like I figured I would have to do at some point. My shop mechanic has a C4 from his sons 66 he said we could pop in in a weekend but not sure I want to go back to auto although that was it’s original configuration.

Many things to consider will feel better once brakes are working properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts