Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting my vert ready to take it to Tennessee for vacation Friday. I had it up on jackstands while I had the rotors turned, replaced the idler arm assembly, and changed the oil.

While I was at it, I was trying to chase down a powersteering fluid leak that's been going on for some time. I figured it was a hose leak at the control valve...that's generally what it has been in the past.

The hoses looked good, but I noticed a drop of PS fluid clinging to bleeder valve on the bottom of the control valve. I flicked it off with a rag and gaped at the bleeder. Darnit...it's not a bleed valve...it's a fricken grease zerk!

I loaded up my grease gun and squeezed in a few pumps of grease. I pulled my gun off and was rewarded by a stream of PS fluid blowing out of the zerk. I let the pressure bleed off and gave it some more grease. I did that about three times before the PS fluid quit running out of the zerk and the grease sealed everything up.

I know for a fact I've NEVER put grease in that zerk when lubing my car. I parked it out in the drive yesterday for an hour or so and it didn't have a spot under it when I moved it...so maybe I'll be OK. I'm sure it would have been better if I would have lubed it occasionally in the seven years I've owned the car!

Phil

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hmmm, I`ll have to look for that one ;)

G

·
0 Posts
When they came from the factory, they had a plug in the hole. If you are getting fluid leaking there, you'll inevitably have to rebuild the control valve.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That would be the exact spot where mine was leaking before the rebuild. At this point the grease wont fix the leak, it will just reduce it for a while. Next you will start getting small puddles of greasy PS fluid. You will definetly have to replace the seals. Make sure the dust boot is installed over the ball stud as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts