#2.the turbo swirl carb spacer by TD proformace
#3.the typhoon intake tube +filter by K&N
#4.the intake manifold gaskets with the mesh screen
#5.the swirl heads by trickflow
Anyone use any of these products that can put these myths to fame or faulter

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Given the gas mileage requirements put on car manufacturers don't you think this stuff would be OEM if it worked?

There is a current article at www.fordmuscle.com on cold air air filter relocators for 5.0 Mustangs. A conical filter relocated to the fenderwell did nothing for performance over the stock filter box. Change in ET or 1/4 mile MPH at all!

Trick Flow heads are going to perform better than stock heads, but I think that is more due to runner and valve size. The shape of the chamber does help the cylinder fill.

Most of this stuff is more about what people will buy rather than performance.

When get to the point where I spend $70 on a louvered coffee can. (tornado) Please shoot me, if SWMBO has not already done so.

Sorry for the sarcasm so early in the morning./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
7,014 Posts
Sure they work. If you follow the directions. Click and Clack covered this last week. Evidently these gizmos come with directions to make them "more effective".

After you install them, to get them to work properly you must follow the directions which tell you to do things like:

1. Do not warm up your engine prior to driving.
2. Avoid "jack rabbit starts"
3. Drive 5 MPH slower then you used to.
4. Don't use your A/C unless you absolutely must.
5. Insert other gas savings idea here.

So, by installing the gizmo and following all of these rules, your gas milage WILL IMPROVE.

Did you ever hear of stone soup? It's soup made from boiling water and a clean rock. It's actually quite good if you spice it up with some meat, noodles, vegetables, and spices /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

The heads are a different story. These are an actual performance mod and should not be confused with putting magnets around your fuel line to "orientate the fuel molocules prior to combustion."

Phil

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Hoosier, you've failed... No such thing as "to orientate." You just failed Selling a Bridge in Brooklyn 101!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You forgot about water injection!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Hey it works on the Unlimiteds at the Reno Air Races.

Oh and stickers. many, many stickers also boost performance./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I installed magnets on my fuel lines and realized a considerable fuel MPG gain.

Here's how it works.
Merge into freeway traffic, draft in behind a tractor trailer, and shut the motor off. The magnetic attraction between the fuel line magnets and rear of the trailer keeps you up to speed /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Of course I did install rather large magnets on the fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What size coffee can ?ive got an original OEM NOS ...in red ,ill give to you...for half price, $35 bucks, today and today only, last one in stock, except for the others,ill repaint to blue if you like, plus shipping and handling of $10.95, packaging $4.00, puttin your name and address on the box ,just to be sure you get it $9.95
p.s. must size to fit

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,743 Posts
K+N makes good air filters. That's all they are-good air filters.
Any crap (screens, "turbo swirl" things) under the carb or in the intake only serves to restrict/disrupt airflow. If you could use this cheap junk to increase mileage, the factory would install it. Car makers are under pressure to make cars that have the best gas mileage possible. If there was a really good cheap way to do that, I'm sure they would have noticed and used it.
Ford noticed "high swirl heads". Their first attempt (86 5.0 Mustang) was laughable, but they figured it out eventually.
TrickFlow did a better job, they make good stuff. But swirl is only a part of overall head design. TrickFlows make more power than stock heads for lots of other reasons.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The lastest tech sheets show that the Wix HP filters flow more CFM than K&N for less $.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts