Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All..
Ok..I've read all the threads about removing the steering box from above on a 65-66.
Here's the scenario I'm considering and wanted to hear from anyone who has done it successfully:
66 hardtop on a 4 post lift.
Pitman arm removed
H pipe disconnected, LH exhaust manifold removed.
Can the steering box be removed from the bottom in that scenario ??? (Box/ shaft is ready to go from the inside)

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,292 Posts
Hi, All..
Ok..I've read all the threads about removing the steering box from above on a 65-66.
Here's the scenario I'm considering and wanted to hear from anyone who has done it successfully:
66 hardtop on a 4 post lift.
Pitman arm removed
H pipe disconnected, LH exhaust manifold removed.
Can the steering box be removed from the bottom in that scenario ??? (Box/ shaft is ready to go from the inside)
Some people say it can go out the bottom. With exhaust manifold removed it may be possible. You'll know when you get to that point.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Main, very important thing to remember when removing these long shaft box. In any case out top, out bottom (which will be challenging) DO NOT almost get it out, then force the shaft one way or other. This will bend the shaft--NOT GOOD.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I replaced my 19:1 with a 16:1 in January(both rebuilt by Chock 😁 )
I had the car on a two-post lift, and removed the driver's seat, clutch linkage, pitman arm, and loosened the H-pipe and several exhaust hangers to lower the pipe.
I was able to slip it out the bottom, moving slowly and carefully.
You'll have to spin the box around a little. Being on a 4-post lift, you'll have to see if you have the clearance underneath of and in front of the box.
It sounds more difficult than it really is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts