Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my timing chain cover and oil pan off the engine (289 V8). I am going to install the timing cover and then the oil pan. Do I put the gasket on the engine or put it on the oil pan?

I can see pros and cons to both ways but I've never had to drop and reinstall an oil pan before so your experiences are appreciated.

Thanks.
P.S. search function didn't work for me tonight.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
timing cover, then pan gasket. Also, there are two types of 1 Piece gaskets (302/5.0) Newer motors have a smooth surface pan, with a textured gasket, older cars have a textured pan, with a smooth gasket. If you get the wrong gasket, it will leak.

don't forget to use the centering pins that they supply with the gasket as well.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
If this is the Felpro Permadry Plus gasket, there are 4 plastic pins that screw into the block at the front and rear corners. Install those, then install the gasket onto the block and push the gasket onto the pins. The pins hold the gasket in place until you get the oil pan installed. You then just uncrew the pins and remove them, replace them with the bolts.

·
Registered
1965 Wimbledon White 2+2, C-code, Auto
252 Posts
If this is the Felpro Permadry Plus gasket, there are 4 plastic pins that screw into the block at the front and rear corners. Install those, then install the gasket onto the block and push the gasket onto the pins. The pins hold the gasket in place until you get the oil pan installed. You then just uncrew the pins and remove them, replace them with the bolts.
After wrestling with my oil pan and gasket for longer than I care to admit I finally got it in place and all torqued down. As I went to throw the fel-pro box away, out falls this bag of plastic pins :shrug: At least there weren't any leaks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts