Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Summit sells Alternators for the one wire conversion. I figure since my engine bay is empty, now would be the time to get rid of the voltage regulator and wire it. I figure I'll need the extra juice for the HR Air fan and the MSD I'm putting in with the new engine. My question: Is there a cut and dried method of doing this? What do I do with the old wiring for the VR? I'm sure instructions come with the new alternator but I'm not sure how good they'll be. Any experience or advice anyone can share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

G

·
Wiring is a piece of cake - just attach the wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the alternator. As for the other wiring -- there's a plug between the alternator harness and the voltage regulator wiring. I left the voltage regulator side of things in place and just taped the plug out of the way with electrical tape.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a piece of cake. Did you use a GM alternator? Any issues with the pulley lining up? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
How are you going to wire your ammeter? Remember that the stock ammeter is a shut type unit and will not take all of the current like the big aftermarket underdash units. I have the same dilemma because I converted to a '66 dash years ago. I'm thinking of rewiring a spare ammeter to operate as a voltmeter which I like better anyway. I'd be interested in what you come up with.

...modified '65 convertible...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question. I'd hate to have to add another guage. I've already got a mechanical OP guage under the dash. Maybe I can just rig up an idiot light? Hopefully that wouldn't be too difficult. Any ideas? Look for a PM from me.

G

·
I used a Ford alternator with the one wire conversion (a little box piggybacked on the back of the alternator). Fit perfectly and looks fairly stock.
I have used a GM 1-wire on a Ford engine - I had to bore out the mounting hole and use a washer stack to get it to fit and line up properly.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We also use the one wire conversion for the Ford alt.
It installs easily and you get to keep your Ford alt.
We have it on three of your Fords and as the option
comes up we put it on the others. You can get it
through Mustantgs Plus 1-800-999-4289 ask for Jim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts