Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's this thing called an Edelbrock Divided Heat Insulator Carburetor Gasket. Edelbrock offers these things to address problem restart issues in the event you ever attend a Cars & Coffee morning "soiree" and discover something else is percolating besides the coffee. (It doesn't seem to matter whether it's Maxwell House or Starbucks, whir, whir, whir, if you don't have this fancy gasket you aren't heading up the road right now.) Being a dude I ordered one up and It looks pretty good. It even came with the four long studs you need to mount the thing in about twenty minutes or so (if you really wanna get after it). I really wanted to get after it so I disconnected a few of the things that make a car go somewhere, installed those cool new studs, then the Edelbrock Divided Heat Insulator Carburetor Gasket, and then put the carb back in place.

Then ahh...hold on just a minute. There must be something afoot here because how do you fasten the thing? It turns out that in my considerable hardware inventory I don't have either the 5/16" 18 x 1.5" bolts that would work, nor the fine thread nuts Edelbrock apparently assumes I always keep in my right hand pocket for just such an occasion. This dissapointment occurred earlier this evening around the same time my wife's active sonar detected bad language blaring throughout our neighborhood. Keeping her cool, she suggested we mix up some Goombay Smash and head for the back deck to commiserate my misfortune.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Doin' the Limbo:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Ha... It never fails to not have the appropriate hardware when needed. I have that same insulator gasket on an Edelbrock carb and it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
It even came with the four long studs you need to mount the thing...
...how do you fasten the thing?
It turns out that in my considerable hardware inventory I don't have either the 5/16" 18 x 1.5" bolts that would work, nor the fine thread nuts Edelbrock apparently assumes I always keep in my right hand pocket for just such an occasion.
View attachment 756442
How did you keep the carb in place previously? Was it just sitting on the manifold with no nuts securing it? You can't be a True Blue Ford Man if you don't have any of those Ford specific 5/16"-24 nuts with a 7/16" hex that were used on every carb Ford ever installed on an engine!

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Be a good squirrel and always keep some extra nuts, just in case.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
thats what spare cars are for!

Reactions: jsbenami

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Edelbrock would be bucks ahead to just include that gasket with every single one of their carburetors. It can't cost more than a couple bucks to buy in bulk and would alleviate about 80% of the hot start issues.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
We're assuming the dam gasket works.....

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you keep the carb in place previously? Was it just sitting on the manifold with no nuts securing it?
At only 1" long, the bolts I removed would prove too short given the thickness of the new gasket. I either need longer ones, or failing that, the correct nuts that Eddy should have provided with their fancy studs in the first place. Hence the gripe.

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
At only 1" long, the bolts I removed would prove too short given the thickness of the new gasket. I either need longer ones, or failing that, the correct nuts that Eddy should have provided with their fancy studs in the first place. Hence the gripe.
As I'm sure you are aware, the carb was originally secured with 5/16" studs, coarse on the manifold end and fine on the carb end. And those unique fine thread nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I'm sure you are aware, the carb was originally secured with 5/16" studs, coarse on the manifold end and fine on the carb end. And those unique fine thread nuts.
Now you tell me. Those 1" bolts I removed are the same ones that held my 650cfm 1806 on, and I reused them when I switched that carb out for a smaller 1406 last year. Guess I'll be using proper studs this time around. :)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Ace Hardware here in Garner might have what you need.

Reactions: 4ocious

·
Registered
830 Posts
Then ahh...hold on just a minute. There must be something afoot here because how do you fasten the thing?
I was just kicking myself because I failed to check out all the fine print and comments on something I purchased. Fortunately it was relatively cheap.
Looking at the picture on Edelbrock's webpage, it is clear that the new studs are fine thread and no nuts are included. So.... oops! Yea, maybe they should be included, but join the crowd.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If all else fails, read the instructions. Or: Just because it fits, doesn't mean it'll work. By now you should have realized that yesterday's modifications may not play nicely with today's modifications.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have bought many spacers that came with studs of every length with nuts so I have plenty! Multi-port fuel injection fixed my hot start issues using non attainment summer blends. Running a electric fuel pump with a return line from the carb would probably be just as effective. The return line might even work with the stock fuel pump?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts