Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porshe 944 with a ford 2.3 turbo

The idea just came to me after remembering the porsche i saw at the junkyard for $1k and all this turbo 2.3 stuff im reading (to get info on injectors and such)

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
From what ive read, the 2.3 isnt much unless you spring for a used esslinger head....the stocker is just too restrictive...

Either way, just not enough cubes.....sure it can put out 600 horses...in full race form.

First idea......Ford 4.0 V6....compact, yet more cubes than the first sbf (221) and very near the second (260)....and supercharger kits are available!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Or, even better!....a turbo 3.8L SFI engine from an 87 Grand National.....mmmmm. *G* I think that would give you the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Yeah..another $#&@*@ gm motor in a ford...just what we need!!!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you read the message... its a GM motor in a PORSCHE

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
well..uh...um

well it should be a FORD 944!!!!!!

LMAO!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Gotta say, the 2.3L turbo isn't a bad motor, and decent horsepower can be had with the stock head. 200-250 at the rear wheels isn't all that difficult (a boost controller, and the right ecm and injectors), and if taken care of, the engines are reliable. One 2.3l turbo guy runs sub 10's in a Pinto. Gotta be more than 300 hp at the rear wheels.
The limitation is in bottom end torque. A decent displacement v-8 makes torque at a much lower rpm, which really shows at the strip. The 2.3L, however, is much lighter, giving better handling. I'm not into drag racing as much anymore, but I do appreciate the slot car handling of my SVO, and its all stock suspension.

Carl

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
The 2.3 Turbo is a great engine. The bottom end is indestructable. Just some porting, a few minor mods and crank the boost! 250-300 HP! Well yeah is doesn't have a bunch of torque down low. But drive it like an over cammed small block engine and you will get the idea!

I would go with the V8 in the Porshe. The 2.3 is a popular swap in older RX7s

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,928 Posts
Almost a 1000 posts and still hasn't figured out how to fill out his bio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts