Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Open track report - new wheels needed??

832 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  autoxsteve 
#1 ·
Hi all

Spent 1-1/2 days on the NHIS road course 2 weeks ago - as always, the biggest fun you can have with your car! the other 1/2 day was spent carefully driving home, however...
Was having so much fun I burnt up a set of Porterfield R4S pads - had just enough left to get home, but couldn't time trial ::

I've got cooling ducts-one to the rotor, the second blowing on the caliper, and I didn't seem to have much fluid boil this time (adding the caliper duct and Motul 600 seems to have cured that). I'm thinking now that the Magnum 500's that the track tires are on don't have enough "air space" to let the hot air out... Anyone care to comment?

I'd love to get another set of TTDs, but the budget's hurting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#3 ·
The last open track I did (50-75 total track miles on a very brake intensive course) I went through 1/2 of my R4S on a 3400# Boss.
Never lost brakes, never had fade or boiled the fluid.
Amazing how much pad was used up though. Might have one day left in them.
If you use something like the Cobra Automotive (www.cobraautomotive.com) duct work at the spindle you'll see that they feed air in from the the spindle centerline and duct out through the rotor (inside of rotor to outside).
With a system like that I don't think wheels are an issue for cooling.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Time to get a higher temp pad too. I used R4s pads for a very short time until they crumbled due to heat!

Try a set of Hawk Blacks if you are really starting to push the car. They have a higher temp range than the Porterfield and are a good entry level race pad... You CANNOT drive these on the street though so you will have to swap them in at the track...

#6 ·
Hi Bill

Thanks for the excellent pics. I'm sure SorT is busy enough, but you ought to put those duct plates on the product list too! Mine aren't quite as nice, and I didn't go the long way like that. You don't get the hose squished between the tire and frame on hard left turns?

Will PM you on wheels, thanks

Tom

#7 ·
Hi Shawn

Now trying the Carbotech "Panther Plus" pads, recommended by a buddy at the track driving a similar sized car. Took a break-in ride last night, and after taking the green out, they work much better than the R4S so far. I'm able to lock-up easier, and after 6-7 60 to 0 stops, I felt like tossing dinner - some good neg. G's there! But lots of dust - I think I'll save these for track days only, or I'll be cleaning wheels after every ride.

#10 ·
Hey Shaun,

Hawk told me that they do not make pads for my
stock '68 front discs! What front discs are you
running that you were able to get Blacks?

Just stepped up to R4S's (last weekend, wanted them
bedded before Mni-Nats) but a little worried about the
"Chunking" complaints I've heard.

Joe P.
1968 GT/CS Highland Green #685

#11 ·
I'm running a PBR caliper, uses (dare I say it) a Chebby backing plate pad for a 80's something vette.

The R4S will work ok, but won't last very long if you run hard, have closed style stock wheels and no 3" ducting... I ran through 3/4 of a pad in 2 sessions! I've since upgraded to better cooling wheels and 3" ducts as well as ditched the 10" stock rotors for 12's... The Hawk Blacks have so far lasted 2 full days and still have 1/2-3/4 left.

You'll do fine at Sears, I find it easier on brakes than say Thunderhill. Just check your pad wear at lunchtime... ;)

#12 ·
I'm in for the backing plates. Nice look! When will they be offered for the monthly StreetorTrack.com special!!!!

I also noticed that you are running non-slotted/cross perforated rotors. That's another helper in the heat department. How about slotted/cross perforated rotors, too! I don't ask for much...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.