Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the night before Open Track, as I was just buttoning things up on the Boss, I noticed a funny squirt-squirt sound and the smell of gas.
Ever try find a fuel pump for B302 at 5:30 on a Wed eve?
My wife said to give Dark Horse a call (she thinks well under pressure), and Fred answered the phone. He has a Carter, but it had AN fittings.
Since it met spec of fuel flow, etc I went to Dark Horse (next hill over) and took a look. After a bit of mumbling and fumbling Fred got together some smaller fittings and we were set. Fred was missing dinner on my account so thanks to him and Dark Horse.
Took hours to get the old fittings out (they were glued in) and the new ones seated correctly (flat copper rings) but it finally went together. I hate aluminum fuel lines.

At the track, something didn't seem right. The oil pressure was too low. Went out for the warm up but the OP was not right. Went through some corners, but half-heartedly since I always had one eye on the OP gauge.
Ran a little harder and it kept inching down. Made it through the session, pulled into the pits and restarted it after about 30 minutes. By now the OP never got much above the 'L'.
Ok, that was it. Called a buddy who owns a tow company and we took her home. Went back in the 96 GT, got it teched and made it out just as my run group was called. Finished out the day after two sessions when the GT started complaining, brake-wise.
The good news is that I didn't blow up the Boss. My matching number block is safe. The bad news is, well I don't know the bad news since I'm a bit disgusted and the Boss just sits there. Maybe later I'll go tear into a few things and see what's up. Throw on a master gauge...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you're dealing with something as irreplacable (and expensive) as a matching number B302 motor you tend to be conservative even while driving the doors off of it.
I also had a rocker start going nuts and clatter, so I said screw it and parked it. I had thoughts of oil starving the rockers (hogging out my roller rockers).

Here is the noon update:

Here is the pic of the problem.
http://home.comcast.net/~bosshare/100-1863.JPG

When I replaced the fuel pump, I had to remove the sender for access. Some teflon tape stuck in the threads, was pushed into the oil extension tube, and got lodged in the sender hole. I have 80 psi. Amazing!

The lifter clatter turned out to be a pushrod that went soft in the socket of one of my Harland Sharp rockers.
I've had on and off problems with rockers/pushrods for years. This may have been a pushrod that had most of the hardness worn off with my other rockers.
The cam runs in the high .600s for lift, the springs are ugly stiff, so the valvetrain is a consumable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts