Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys... not sure if this is a thing for old cars but its sooo hard to open the doors from the inside! I feel like I have to pull the latch aaaaaaaaall the way before I can get the door open. My poor mom thinks im not letting her out of the car when she's with me...

When I removed the panel and looked hot it works, I feel like there's a little bit of "sag" before the latch engages... It happens on both passenger and driver side so I don't think if its normal or not...

It's a 69 coupe...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok finally took the thing out and I see that the bottom piece is so far from the mechanism that actually releases the latch. Am I missing a boot somewhere or is it just worn down?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting... Wonder if the rod I have is too long... this is driving nuts lol. I legit have to pull the latch really hard to open the door.

I just ordered used rod from WCCC... lets see if that works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok finally fixed it. I had to shorten the rod about 1/4 inch since it’s pushing the lever upward making it travel more when I open pull the latch.
Maaaan bending the end of the rod after cutting it was probably the hardest part!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
OK, I have a different issue with my door latch. Painter somehow screwed up the driver's door and wasn't able to get the rods to work right, so if the rods were connected, it wouldn't open, but if the rod for the outside handle wasn't connected, it could be opened from the inside. He said he bought new parts for it, cuz obviously they went bad while they were out of the door, but didn't solve the problem. Eventually, I was able to get both working, but the rod for the outside handle will pop out of it's holder occasionally, which is really annoying. Now, this past Sat at a show, when I went to leave, it wouldn't open from the outside, no pressure at all on the handle button, so I'm thinking the rod popped off again. But the inside handle wouldn't work either. So, I had to get in and out thru the passenger door (and that wasn't very fun).
Any ideas why the rod keeps popping out of its little hole? Is there a clip that keeps it there, or is it just a press fit like it seems? I'm almost ready to buy a whole new system for it, just so I know what I have going, but if it's something really simple that I'm missing, I'd rather not pull the whole thing out and replace it.
And it's a '65. Possibly early, I don't know if that door has ever been replaced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea mine actually broke too when I was replacing it. You can probably just go to a local auto shop and get one. I got mine at O’Riley’s

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Thanks for the info y'all. I'll check O'Riley's, will save the postage from NPD, being more than the actual part.
I had no idea what to even search for at NPD, I couldn't even find the mechanism/latch/lock thingie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts