Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something like this mentioned by Ben of Four Speed Film.

If anyone is installing one of these I had a heck of a time with the driver side nut. It might have been easier if I had removed the instrument panel but I didn’t and just reached up.

There’s just no room or should I say barely any room. I wrapped a piece of tape around the nut and that held it in the wrench. Then I got my wife to turn the bolt. I quickly discovered I couldn’t get the wrench off. Luckily I had the correct nut but the thin version. Once the bolt was started I could get the closed end off and switch to the open end of the wrench.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
DaveSwoosh, why, if I might ask, did you choose that particular reinforcement ? I have seen other that attach differently. But I don't have one at all, so, I'm just asking. LSG

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DaveSwoosh, why, if I might ask, did you choose that particular reinforcement ? I have seen other that attach differently. But I don't have one at all, so, I'm just asking. LSG
Not sure who else offers them currently.

How else could they attach?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Mustangs to Fear has a firewall reinforcement that's pretty easy to install.

Reactions: 65coupei6_2

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mustangs to Fear has a firewall reinforcement that's pretty easy to install.

The point of the Opentracker version is to bolt the plate up high near the seam which should prevent it from moving. The MTF may work too although it just adds mass to that part of the firewall.

If you absolutely do not want anything to even think about moving you'd use the Hane solution. But you'd have to be very careful about master cylinder choice and also get past the fact that it's 10x more expensive. Maybe if you're one of those people who don't skip leg day...

·
Spammer Hammer
11,975 Posts
If this is for a track/race application (I didn’t necessarily see that it is) the Hane brace is the only brace worth considering for this type of abuse. Trust me, when you repeatedly jam the brakes from 120MPH+, you do not want the firewall moving. Without the Hane brace, The firewall will flex under this type force. You need all your leg force applied to go direct into the pedal and into the brakes.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
The Hane version is the only one that doesn't seem pretend. The MTF version seems like a joke or just a cosmetic piece "to fill holes"? At least it's cheap unlike most of their garbage. The Opentracker version seems better for the reasons mentioned but I don't see it how it fully addresses this apparent problem. It's like the curved Monte Carlo bar of firewall braces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts