Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a totalled, 67 289 A/T coupe that I bought back from the Ins. company after a lady ran my son off the interstate and he rolled the car. It has a rebuilt motor, new interior and magnum 500's. I have located another 67 in great shape with a blown 6 cyl. motor and 3 spd. tranny I can pick up reasonably. Is it worth the effort to swap out the V8 stuff on this car or should I consider poking another I6 in it (which I have)? How big a job are we talking about in the swap?
Thanks, Stan. opinions are appreciated.

THE 90/90 RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
This sounds like the standard I6-V8 swap, which I am kinda doing right now... I'm getting pieces from all over
but the car was originally an I6, which I am making a V8... stuff I've been told that needs to change...

1) engine, obviously
2) Front suspension. Spindles especially, with all associated hardware.
3) rear end, more than likely. The I6's woudl have a weaker rear end. If it's not a HUGE engine, you
might be able to get away with it, but if you have it there, might as well.

Those are the big things... a lot of the associated parts would probably have to go as well. Since
you have a lot of those parts on one car already, it would be more a matter of time to move the parts
from one car to the other, rather than "search and rescue" time to get the parts you need.

Would you have to do some resto work on the I6 car to get it up to "standards" or is it in good condition,
body wise now?

Rich
----
'66, 302-4bbl, Granada disk brakes, etc, etc...
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
being a v8 type of person id say do it. to me it would be worth whatever it takes. if u have everything from the other car then just swap it. shouldnt cost much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Since you already have a V8 donor it shouldn't be too bad but you might have to find replacement V8 stuff it was wrecked in the roll over (really glad your son is all right).

I had started with a decrepit '65 V8 coupe and a I6 shell and wound up spending $3000 to complete the conversion. Part of that was to replace rusted fenders, bumpers, engine parts, and replace all the worn out stuff. There is a list

here:

http://www.geocities.com/a65ragtop/VM_FAQ

a65ragtop maintains the VMF FAQ site. It will give you an idea of what to look out for even though you have a '67. I think the inner and outer tie rods are the same on the I6/V8 '67s.

Oh, Stephanie Roberts has a page on her website regarding 6 to 8 swap on a '68.

http://home.pacifier.com/~dnstoys/mustang.htm

Hope that helps.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Make sure you change the rearend!!!

I had a 3/4 dead 289-4V in my last 65, and I hadn't gotten a chance to change the front and rear to the v8 (5 lug) setup.

Needless to say, even a measly, dying 289 can blow up a rear driveshaft yoke. Off the rearend, not the driveshaft. Not pretty to see all those needle bearings lying in the street!

-M

AIM: SixFivePony

'65 Coupe ***Total Project***
Current Stats: Dead 200 six, C4, surface rust, hole in the floorpan :)

Plans: Tremec TKO, 351C, MII front suspension, no shock towers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The I6 car is in very good shape with new paint, brakes, interior. Very good shape except for a blown motor. Thanks for the replies.

THE 90/90 RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES...
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90%.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top