Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know opinions on the FMX automatic transmission on a 1970 M-code Mach 1. I would like to know the pros and cons of this transmission. Thanks for input!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
IMHO, heavy, heavy, heavy, not many (if any) parts/upgrades available.. Again IMHO, not that sturdy either... Not many people out there know much about them if youre in need of repairs..

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
They aren't bad transmissions, and they're actually pretty sturdy. Like mentioned, there's not a lot of parts availability for them and they are heavy.

If I had one in decent working order, I wouldn't rush to replace it. If I was looking for a transmission, though, it wouldn't even make the list of ones I would bother to look at ;)

·
Banned
647 Posts
Oh Hockey pucks. I remember the time I asked about this. There are tons and tons of upgrades for the FMX. In fact there are 3 kits just from one manufacture alone. The FMX is 195#. The AOD is 185#. That is 10# of extra weight on your car. The C4 weighs 181# and the C6 weighs 171#. Do you hear anyone here upgrading to a C6. Hell no. They are upgrading to an AOD and frankly I sometimes take a dump that weighs 10#s so that much weight is no big deal. As for people working on them, unless you need a rebuild the transmission is made for the average mechanic to fix or adjust it as needed. Do not worry about weight, some of these guys have 10#s of hot air in their head is all. :p

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
The C6 weighs less than the C4? According to my searching:

All without converter or fluid:
AOD - 150 lbs
C4 - 110 lbs
C6 - 140 lbs
FMX - 160 lbs
Ford-o-Matic (pre-FMX), cast iron case - 228 lbs

Converters are roughly 30lbs +/-

The FMX was the basis on the AOD transmission design, so it's not necessarily a bad transmission. It has it's weak points, like IIRC the second and reverse gear bands. Most are corrected when a rebuild is performed. Aftermarket is somewhat limited compared to the C4. There are rebuild kits, shift kits, and converters for them but beyond that is a bit thin. AFAIK, Lokar is the only manufacturer that makes aftermarket shifters for the FMX. None of the B&M shifters will work. Another thing that really bugs me is the lack of aftermarket pans. I have yet to find any aftermarket pan with a thick flange for the FMX. There are tons of them for every other darn Ford transmission, but none that i've found for the FMX. If you can find someone that really knows these transmissions, they will hold as much as your stock block will hold. With that cast iron case, you don't have to worry about it giving way :p

IMO, after a nice rebuild with a shift kit added the only downside is weight and the lack of overdrive.

This link may help http://www.fordification.com/autoID.htm

·
Banned
647 Posts
Here is the list I have for both empty and full transmissions and engines.

Ford BOSS 302 500 (48)

Ford 351 Cleveland 550 (48) (includes BOSS and Australian 302-C)

Ford 351 Windsor 510

Ford 351 Windsor 525 (48) (168)

Ford 351M-400 575 (48)

Ford Y block V8 625 (272-312 CID)

Ford FE big block 650 (332-428 CID)

Ford FE big block 670 (1) ('59 352 CID)

Ford FE 625 (48)

Ford 427 SOHC 680 (48)

Ford 429/460 V8 640

Ford 429-460 720 (48)

Ford 460 V8 720 (10)

Ford BOSS 429 680 (iron block, aluminum heads)

Ford BOSS 429 635 (48)

Ford 4.6 SOHC 530 (93) iron block, aluminum heads

Ford 4.6 SOHC 473 (72)

Ford 4.6 SOHC 600 (168) (Mustang)

Ford 4.6 DOHC 464 (72) "9 pounds lighter than SOHC"

Ford 4.6 DOHC 437 (77) without accessories

Ford 4.6 DOHC 521 (94) aluminum block and heads

Ford 4.6 DOHC 576 (168) (Mustang)

Ford 48 4 speed manual (85) '71 Capri/Pinto 1600 light duty

(iron case, aluminum tailshaft housing)

iron bhsg 23#

Ford C6 ~202 3 speed auto (152) Big block C-6, 165 lbs, Transmission

weight, drained, without torque

converter 37 lb, Torque converter

weight, mostly drained

Ford C6 ~171 3 speed auto (154) no fluid

Ford C4 ~185 3 speed auto (152) Small block C-6, 150 lbs, Transmission

weight, drained, without torque

converter 35 lb, Torque converter

weight, mostly drained

Ford AOD 184 4 speed auto (154) (without fluid)

Ford AOD 195 4 speed auto (159) including torque convertor

Ford FMX ~195 3 speed auto (154) cast iron case

Ford FMX 195 3 speed auto (159) iron case

Ford 228 3 speed auto (154) Ford-O-Matic (pre-FMX), cast iron
case (early '60s)

·
Registered
27 Posts
69Mock1 said:
.. Again IMHO, not that sturdy either...
For your info:

Quote:

"Rebuild your FMX. They're plenty strong, and you CAN get parts and rebuild kits.

This car:
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/data/510/medium/46picture004.jpg

Is putting out approximately 500hp out of a 484-inch stroked 460 and going through a FMX tranny. (tall block bellhousing is from my old 351M/FMX '78 LTD wagon) 11.15 @ 123 Any questions?

Unquote

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't have a list of weights, but I do have an AOD in my garage. I've moved it around myself many times and I'm no Arnold Schwartzenager so I have serious doubts about that 185#. Maybe it's 185 full of fluid with a converter, but without those I doubt it much more than 150#. I also doubt the FMX is only 10# more. It's as long as a C6 and has an iron case. Now all things considered, even if it's 50# heavier that isn't a big deal to the overall weight of the car itself. On the other hand the iron case is one reason the FMX is a pretty durable trans. In my youth it was not uncommon for a guy to purposely put a FMX in place of a C4 because the case is very rigid and it was much cheaper than a C6 since it seemed everybody wanted one of those to race with. Shift kits and converters have been around for it for years and that's all that really was needed to race with an FMX. Now that being said, I still wouldn't consider an FMX for a swap. Because of a real lack of interest in the trans there is hardly anybody around who knows how to work on it beyond a basic rebuild and in todays driving world I'm spoiled to the point that if I went to the trouble and expense of a swap I'd get an overdrive trans.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Like I said "IMHO" cause i knew there would be those guys out there to try to jump all over me...

this is just opinion fellows... i've had a # of FMX's that have been gone thru, and still, behind basically stock motors they didnt last long. And thats not even raggin on them either.. + its the 3rd gear and reverse that share the same band...(garbage)..

In addition, the one member who's excrement weighs 10#'s, are you telling me youve weighed it in the past?? TMI.......

lots of love..

out..

·
Banned
647 Posts
Oh come on now. You mean to tell me you never lost a pant size on one good bowel movement. Oh I guess I am special. Anyways I was not trying to attack you I was trying to be funny. If my FMX is ever toasted I am swapping to a AOD for sure but from what I have seen here and elsewhere if you already have the FMX then its not a bad transmission with the right rearend gearing. My opinion.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
FMX tranny's are just about bullet proof like C6's, just a little heavier than a C6. There are plenty of parts available for an FMX but not as many as a C6, as C6 trannys have been used for years and are in many different vehicles. The FMX can take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I GOT A FMX IN MINE IT HAS A SHIFT KIT
I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT
WHEN IT GOES SOUTH I WILL PUT AN AOD IN
BUT ONLY FOR THE OVERDRIVE

CHRIS

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is my second long term FMX. Not very high tech but they work well. Mine has a drip where the gear selector goes into the trans and I think it has never been out of the car from the looks of it, but I may be wrong, still not bad for a 1969 model. The only complant I have had with them is they all seem to shift hard when going into reverse (kinda like you have a worn u-joint), but I can live with that....

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
69Mock1 said:
this is just opinion fellows... i've had a # of FMX's that have been gone thru, and still, behind basically stock motors they didnt last long. And thats not even raggin on them either..
And I believe that is were the problem was. As I mentioned there just aren't that many people who know these trannies, in spite of the old tech design and 3 speed gear set. I had an FMX in a Cougar years ago, no issues in spite of some abusive driving on my part, but it was 100% stock and never touched by any mechanics hands, skilled or not. This is just my opinion, but based on what I've seen and heard over the years it seems to me that the FMX normally is a pretty solid unit until leaks or just plain wear from high miles forces the need for a shop to open it up, from then on it's a crap shoot if you'll ever have as solid a trans as came from the factory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts