Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating adding 351W heads to my car sometime in the future. I was going to wait for a rebuild next year sometime but noticed these on Ebay and since it is located in the same town as I am, I thought they might be a good deal. I admit to not knowing much about heads. Are they the right heads for my applicaiton? Any compression issues?

I have a 302 .030, no idea on the cam (put in by previous owner but it is not stock and has a nice lope to it), Weiand Stealth intake, Edelbrock 500 cfm carb, Tri-Y headers and as far as I know stock 289/302 heads with no work done to them.

351W heads

Mark

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a 351w with those exact heads on mine. I will tell you that they do not have hardened seats which you will need to have hardened seats put in atleast the exhaust side or run a lead addative in every tank of gas. I know this from experience. I trashed a set of heads from not adding the addative. I think the seats are like $10-$15 each installed. Talk to your machinest to find out the going rate now. I would recommend getting them surfaced also while you are there.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Yeah, they'll work, but will only give you a marginal improvement as is. You'll need to have hardened valve seats installed anyway, so might think about going to 2.0 intake valves, upgrade to screw in rocker studs if you like, and do a good port job before bolting them on. If you do the port work yourself, you're probably looking at $150.00 - $200.00 in shop time plus the cost of parts (Studs, Springs & Valves) to hvae them ready. If the shop does the port work, you're looking at an easy $300.00 more!

If stock heads are working for you now, you don't need to add allot of fancy stuff, so it will help you to keep the cost down. When/iy you upgrade your cam and other stuff later on, you can always add heavier springs and roller rockers and have a prety nice set-up.

CC volume might bring CR up a bit but should be right around 10.0.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I have these heads on my engine. If they are ready to go otherwise, $125 for the pair is pretty attractive...they are a nice mild upgrade from stock, but wont compete with, say, DART heads or E-boks. You will lose some CR, depending on your piston config right now (going from ~54cc to ~60cc). Id guess about half a point, but thats a SWAG, ask an expert to be sure. Dont forget the head bolts holes are a different size (1/2 as opposed to 7/16).

If you get them, make sure you grind the Thermactor bumps out of the ports before you install......thats essential for any kind of flow.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
What will they do for you? Nearly nothing for a small chamber 302 with 54 or 58 cc heads. Maybe 10 HP if you have larger chamber heads and your compression ratio remains the same or nearly the same. Chamber size is around 61cc. Bill Carroll in his Ford Stockers Bible said it's a wash because compression goes down while flow goes up a little resulting in zero gain.

Flow isn't that good stock...just like 289/302 heads. They do have potential to flow nearly 230 @ 0.500 intake and 175 @ 0.500 exhaust when CNC ported. I got pretty close to these numbers by doing a home port, but i've done several port jobs so I knew where to attack the ports.

If you are trying to keep a stock iron head look...check out powerheads.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts