Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
OK price, check with Mustangsteve on this site, he may have better for less. You may have to have the rotor centers (granada style) turned to fit through the center of some wheels.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Don't see why not; so long as you have the booster and the correct pushrod length on the MC, it's doable. I've seen a lot of people run power brakes on their GVM stuff. A lot of GVMs CAME with PDB.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Using a power booster is really the only way to go with this set up. The Granada uses a single piston floating caliper which requires much more fluid volume and pressure to operate than the earlier 4 piston calipers. You could still use them with no booster and a non-power brake pedal, but you would have an extremely hard pedal. Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't really enjoy doing leg presses on the pedal every time I try to stop :: Lastly, the Granada rotors have the same 5 lug pattern as the V8 8" Mustang rears so the same wheels should fit both front and back, just be aware as a previous post mentioned that the center hub on the Granada rotors is bigger than the Mustang hubs. Some original Mustang rims won't fit over the hub, but most aftermarket rims will be no problem.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The only original Mustang rim that doesn't work with the GVM swap is the styled steel wheel. It conflicts with the caliper, usually.

As far as the need for PDB, naaaah.... My pedal has a nice travel and a nice feel, not too hard at all. But hey... personal preference makes it fun! :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I bought a complete power front disc brake setup from Ohio Mustang on E-bay. This included rotors, spindles, calipers, master cylinder, booster, and proportioning valve for $200.00. Shipping was about $65. They came out of the same year Mustang as mine and in good condition.

I will turn the rotors and rebuild the calipers but I figure that shouldn't be more than $100 for labor and parts at a local shop. I'll blast and paint the parts myself.

The parts you are looking at are missing a few components such as the master cylinder, booster, calipers and rotors so I think the price is a little high. By the time you buy all those parts, you could have bought a complete kit from one of the Mustang parts houses.

Just my opinion.

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/my-72-mach-1.jpg
My 72 Mach 1 Q Code.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
These guys are correct. It is worth it for you to go to a local junk yard with a little knowledge on what will work and pull the parts yourself. After cleaning it up yourself you will have saved so much having everything rather than just the spindles. Hoses are about $30, calipers without cores, maybe $65 each, rotors are from $50 on up each, all the bearings could run you about $30 you should get these new anyways. You will need Granada tie rod ends. You could probably get all that (needing clean and easy rebuild) for $200 plust or minus $10. Maybe cheaper depending on your junk yard. Do your research. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
It`s more than I`d spend on spindles and brackets. :p

They sure are pretty though ::

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Don't get too attached to this one single ebay auction.

Also check the VMF classifieds. I think someone sells the setups.

Mustangs and mustang parts will always come around again. DOn't emotionally buy anything.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule (shelby mustang in a barn??) , but most times its a good rule of thumb.

The swap isn't hard but you want to make sure you have most of hte parts.

Hoses, I would replace anyway.
Calipers. Rebuilt ones are cheap, but you need the core.
The distribution valve can dry up. This is what takes the the 2 lines from the master cylinder, and splits it into 3 parts (2 fronts and 1 rear). You need this.

The distribution valve is not the same as the adjusting proportion valve. This valve adjusts "how much fluid" reaches the rears.. Aka, you use it to "tone down" the pressre going to the rear in order not to lock up your rear brakes. you will probably get an after market one.

But , while others are saying "wait" your time is worth something. So you might check 10 salvage yards and find the parts, but its nice to pay a little extra and just get them sometimes.

Its a very subjective decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts